Join now - be part of our community!

VGN FW31M: replaced hard drive, installed Windows7, Blu-Ray doesn't work. Help

profile.country.en_GB.title
dbnoch7
Visitor

VGN FW31M: replaced hard drive, installed Windows7, Blu-Ray doesn't work. Help

Hello all, this forum is my last hope. My VAIO VGN-FW31M had crashed about a month ago. Took it to a repair shop. They said the hard drive is failing and had me buy a new hard drive. This also seemed a good moment to upgrade to Windows 7 (from VISTA). Things were OK, till I tried to play a Blu-Ray Disk.. It doesnt read.. Can anyone guide me in the right direction here?

Another annoying issue since Windows 7 install - the sliders on my touch-pad don''t work anymore. Anyway to restore that little useful functionality?

Many thanks!

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dbnoch7 and welcome.

What software are you using to try to play blu-ray discs?

Your original software would have included WinDVD BD but it sounds like a clean installation of Windows 7 has been made - and you will have lost all your original preinstalled software.

This cannot be downloaded and you will need to buy a replacement blu-ray player like WinDVD or PowerDVD.

You can download drivers and utilities from here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FW31M/updates

There is no Windows 7 Touchpad driver but you could try reinstalling the original Vista Pointing Device/Touchpad driver which you will find under the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities Tab.

:thinking:

dbnoch7
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, and thanks! I got the scroll back 🙂

WRT the WinDVD BD, you are right, it's not on my system... and why would it be, since I had to buy a new hard drive (hmmm) .. I got the old drive but I was told it's failed, although the repair shop managed to recover most data from it. If I knew what files to look for, perhaps they can send them to me?

Any other way to get it back, since I had it once?

If all fails, where can I buy the software from, a quick google search didnt yield many choices..

Thanks! Very quick reply! Much appreciated!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dbnoch7.

If you Google for "Blu-Ray Player Software" you may find a free player but it is probably best to look for a free  30 day trial offer from a well known software provider.  This is a good idea to make sure your drive is not faulty following the Windows 7 installation - which sometimes happens - so don't pay for anything yet.

The best known software providers are: -

PowerDVD 12 - 30 day free trial

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdvd/download_en_GB.html

WinDVD Pro11 - 30 day free trial

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4090069&cid=catalog20038&segid=4400002&storeKey...

:wink:

dbnoch7
Visitor

THIS IS NOW SORTED, NOT TO WORRY.

Hi Blencogo,

I have downloaded the free trial for WIN DVD BD, but when i run the exe i get an error, see image. What does it mean? Thanks!

error.png

Message was edited by: dbnoch7