Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AW31S/B confusion

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
celticredhawk
Visitor

VGN-AW31S/B confusion

Hi there

I bought a VGN-AW31S/B a while back and it worked swimmingly until recently when the DC adaptor broke, it became loose and now the computer will not charge up. I know it needs to be serviced and it is out of warranty. I contacted a sony recommended repair company and they said it will need a whole new mother board whereas a friend of a friend abroad who works for another sony recommended repair company says the jack just needs to be resoldered onto the mother board or replaced - given my description to him he said the jack just sounds loose and would not need to be replaced (but would obviously need to see inside to make sure)

there are no other issues with the laptop, it worked fine until someone yanked on the power cord and loosened the jack.

can anyone shed further light on this before I consider whether or not to replace the laptop as it would be more economical than buying a whole new mother board for a computer that isnt one of the most recent.

thanks in advance for all your help.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

In that case, the DC-In jack will be a separate unit and will connect to the motherboard simply by wires and a connector.  No Motherboard replacement is needed and no soldering required.

I would try another repairer that knows your model.

I think you need part No 16 in this diagram: -

AW.jpg

:wink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Does your Vaio have the DC IN Jack in the cylindrical hinge assembly?

:thinking:

celticredhawk
Visitor

hey, thanks for answering.

not that i fully understand your question but it is in cylindrical shape on the left hand side of the computer in the back corner

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

In that case, the DC-In jack will be a separate unit and will connect to the motherboard simply by wires and a connector.  No Motherboard replacement is needed and no soldering required.

I would try another repairer that knows your model.

I think you need part No 16 in this diagram: -

AW.jpg

:wink:

celticredhawk
Visitor

wow, thanks.

Shame i am here in Europe and the friend of a friend is in New Zealand. I will find a compnay tomorrow to fix it.

Thanks soo much for the answer.

:slight_smile: