Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR51J and need to upgrade to Win7 how do I do it

profile.country.en_IE.title
kevperry
Visitor

VGN-AR51J and need to upgrade to Win7 how do I do it

I have a VGN-AR51J and need to upgrade to Win7 how do I do it? Problems with drivers when I upgraded. I lost my drivers for the chipsets, Video, PCIe and others. When I went to find new ones, they said my operating system can't find compatible hardware. I have to restore factory reset and go back 6 years and also install all of the updates.

Hope someone can help me out. I really need someones help. I tried to find some place on this site to contact Sony support like I did years ago, but I can't find the support contact anymore.

Also when I checked my Sony account, to look up my laptop, it is not on this list. I bought it in Ireland in PC World and I also registered it with Sony.

Please help

Kevin

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Kevin,

This model was shipped with Vista Home Premium 32Bit as were all of the AR series and if the Sony drivers (32Bit) are incompatible with the new OS then you may have installed a 64Bit version.

If you have lost the drivers then I assume you carried out a clean install of Windows 7 as opposed to an in-place upgrade that would have retained all drivers and pre-installed software – this option is not available when changing from a 32Bit OS to 64Bit.

Your options are to either reinstall a 32Bit version of Windows 7 and then try installing the original 32Bit Vista drivers or to return to factory settings and then carry out an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 32Bit.

As this machine is out of warranty the only option you now have to contact support is the OOW premium rate telephone number. You can find this by clicking Support at the top of this page and selecting Contact Us – I believe the number from within Ireland is 1530 501002.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat