Join now - be part of our community!

vgc-m1 black screen

spar42
Visitor

vgc-m1 black screen

hi folks I have a vgc-m1 desktop which today decided to play up with a black screen
I have found that with a tourch I can see the screen and display very faintly.
has anyone had this problem and how did you go about fixing it. thanks for any help given

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi spar42,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I think your problem could be hardware related, it could possibly be either a faulty Inverter, backlight bulb or cabling problem.. :slight_frown:

Do you get the same problem when in safe mode.?

To enter safe mode restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

Do you get the same problem in the BIOS

To enter the BIOS restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F2 key repeatedly..

To exit the BIOS press F9 to reset the BIOS to default and press F10 to save and exit..

If so I suggest you either contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Or

See if a local repairer in your area can give you an quote for repair, then depending on the cost decide whether you wish to proceed with the repair..

spar42
Visitor

thanks for help f2 and f8 safe/bios still the same but I have just realised that the sound is not working as well when pc came on this time it lite up for 10 secs before going back to black (using the torch to manouver round the is great game for the kids maybe this should be a new feature in future models!) so maybe I will should to have a poke around is the inverter the control for sound and screen? thanks for any advice you guys can give me

welcome to Club VAIO..

Unfortunately I think your problem could be hardware related, it could possibly be either a faulty Inverter, backlight bulb or cabling problem..

Do you get the same problem when in safe mode.?

To enter safe mode restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

Do you get the same problem in the BIOS

To enter the BIOS restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F2 key repeatedly..

To exit the BIOS press F9 to reset the BIOS to default and press F10 to save and exit..

If so I suggest you either contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Or

See if a local repairer in your area can give you an quote for repair, then depending on the cost decide whether you wish to proceed with the repair..

spar42
Visitor

thanks for all your help, but after looking at new models I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
I have dismantled the old vgc-m1 (lots of fun!!) :cool: and if anyone wants to contact me for spare parts feel free to do so
thanks
rugrat

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile:

spar42
Visitor

just had fun taking the vgc-m1 to bits does anyone need any spare
parts?