Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO XL100 Problem - Won't write to DVD (Error ID 544)

750-T
Visitor

VAIO XL100 Problem - Won't write to DVD (Error ID 544)

Hi,
I have recently purchased a VAIO XL 100 and it won't write/burn to DVD.
I have tried using 'Click to DVD' and it gives me Error ID 544.
I have also tried to create a recovery disk and it won't recognise the disc.
I've tried DVD+RW and DVD-RW, neither work.
(I have downloaded and installed all the updates)
Anyone got any ideas please?
Thanks,
John

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi John and welcome.

Are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista? Do you have another burning program like Nero or Roxio installed? Have you tried one of these?

For the Recovery Discs, use DVD-R or DVD+R - it will not accept rewritable discs.

:thinking:

750-T
Visitor

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I am using Windows XP and have just downloaded NERO.
This has allowed me to burn the recovery discs onto DVD+RW discs OK.
(I know Sony don't recomend RW's for back up but they are the only discs I have to hand)
Do you have any further ideas as to what the problem might be?
Thanks,
John

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Not sure John.

XP does not support DVD burning - it supports CD burning only. You need another program installed that will allow you to burn DVDs. Most Vaios have WinDVD installed for this purpose - do you still have this installed? Nero may have fixed the problem by providing DVD support.

:thinking:

750-T
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,
I'm embarrased to have to say that I have found the problem.
I thought I'd better just post it so that it clarifies things for future reference.
It turns out that the first piece of TV that I recorded and tried to burn to DVD was such bad quality that although it compressed okay it would not write to the DVD. This gave error code 544.
I have checked the TV recording quality of 3 recordings since and they have all written to dvd ok so I really think that his was the problem.
Also, just to correct my earlier post. I backed up my C drive using Nero and DVD-RW discs, I didn't burn the VAIO recovery discs to DVD-RW's. (I got confused!)
You were quite correct, the Vaio will only burn the recovery discs to DVD-R, not RW's.
Anyway, thanks for the help and advice when I thought I was stuck in a hole.
Just knowing there was somewhere out there trying to help was very comforting.
John