Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio updated - internet died! HELP!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
mandarabe
Visitor

Vaio updated - internet died! HELP!!!

My new Vaio (less than a month old) SVT131 was working yesterday afternoon - it then did a Vaio update and my internet went out the window!  All the systems say the internet is connected, but I can't get any web-pages to come up or any updates via the web...either wi-fi or via cable connection.  The problem is definately the computer as my old computer and my TV can access the net fine

I first tried to restore to a previous point, but this made no difference at all and now I can not undo the restore!  PLEASE HELP!!!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you checked that in Vaio Smart Network the Wireless LAN function is turned on? To access the settings either click the icon in the system tray or click Start > All Programs > Vaio Smart Network.

If that has no effect then open Device Manager and check whether the Wireless device is present and reported as working or if not let us know any error codes.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Fireflyzk
Visitor

I just got mine and worked fine for a while then after i did the updates the internet broswer has DIED!!!!

All my other computers work fine, its just this!!!!!!

Need urgent help, no one at sony is picking up the call!!!!

This is not good support!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mandarabe,

I would suggest that you try temporarily disabling all internet security both on the notebook and router (if this is applicable) and see whether you can then connect to the net. If you can then at least you know where the problem lies.

You could also have a look at the security settings for the browser you are using or try a different browser.

Other options available to you are a system restore back to a date prior to the Windows update that you think was the cause of the problem or try removing individual updates if you can identify the culprit.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mandarabe
Visitor

I managed to get it going for 1 session but didn't know how I got it!  The security settings don't seem to affect the problem... I managed to get the window on the right (wi-fi connections) to a message something along the lines of "you are already connected to this network - would you like to connect anyway?"  I clicked yes and the internet started working!  Unfortunately I shutdown the computer afterwards and it has gone back to the original problem again!  I can't figure out how I got the message!    HELP ME!!!!!!!!!:smileycry:

mandarabe
Visitor

I managed to get it going for 1 session but didn't know how I got it!  The security settings don't seem to affect the problem... I managed to get the window on the right (wi-fi connections) to a message something along the lines of "you are already connected to this network - would you like to connect anyway?"  I clicked yes and the internet started working!  Unfortunately I shutdown the computer afterwards and it has gone back to the original problem again!  I can't figure out how I got the message!    HELP ME!!!!!!!!!:smileycry:

mandarabe
Visitor

Everything is turned on and enabled - all the diagnostics say the internet is connected and working - just no data is going through!   the problem is with the programming as not only the wifi but the cable connection has the same problem..  Clicking the networks icon shows the wi-fi /cable connected with full bars on signal strength  - everything looks fine until you actually to pull something up over the internet - it just keeps loading for 5 minutes before saying try again!

Any ideas?