Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio TX1XP and Vodafone Option 3G Quad datacard incompatibility

Sonny_Jim
Visitor

Vaio TX1XP and Vodafone Option 3G Quad datacard incompatibility

My first Vaio and it certainly is a wonderful little machine!... except that...

I simply cannot get the Vodafone 3G/GPRS datacard (a rebadged 'Option 3G Quad' band card), that came bundled with it, to work - whenever I insert it, I always get a Code10 error on the Applcation Interface in Device Manager, which I assume is a driver issue. The card powers up and is correctly recognised & identified by the software during setup and it also successfully registers onto the SIM's network; however, the card software never displays an available network name or signal and so an Internet connection cannot be initiated. Seeing the card/SIM registered on their network allowed Vodafone Data Support - initially quite keen to assist and vaguely aware of past (resolved) issues with earlier Vaio models - to advise that since they could see that the card they'd supplied was working normally on the network there was nothing wrong with it and no more they could do, as they 'don't provide PC support', i.e. they didn't support their own card software! :smileyrolling_eyes:

I've tried reinstalling the Vodafone v6.0 'Dashboard' software; installing earlier recommended versions; tried using an alternative 3G Vodafone card(s); tried my older Option Globetrotter GPRS cards; tried Option's own Mobility Manager card software - all without success - and tested my card in another laptop (worked fine), all of which seems to point to an issue between card drivers and the Vaio. The only configuration that I *have* got to work is Orange's new Option Fusion 3G+WLAN card, running with their own Mobile Office Card software - unfortunately, this is about the only card I don't have and the Orange software won't recognise any of the other cards (the (Vodafone) Quad band card being a different Option model). Apart from the requisite datacard applications, I haven't installed any other software on the machine except for essential MicroSoft Updates, Vaio Updates and NIS virus updates.

I am still trying to escalate this problem with Sony Support but, in the meantime, it would be really helpful if I anyone here could possibly throw any light on this problem... I'm not expecting a fix - that would be too miraculous! - but, a diagnosis of the probable problem from someone more knowledgeable than myself would be useful, or just confirmation that others are experiencing the same problem as myself (with TX-s or any other Vaios, especially current models)... or, OTOH perhaps, that someone has actually got one of these cards working on a TX1! If not, my suspicion is that this is indeed a TX-series, or wider Vaio problem, in which case Vodafone must be giving away an awful lot of these cards in this promotion which won't work and aren't being used - maybe that's why there are so many up on eBay!

Being new to Club Vaio I am still getting used to navigating & using the site - I have tried searching the forums for relevant posts, but could only find someone else reporting (http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=30177) a similar problem with an FS315S+Vodafone 3G card and a reference (http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=30052) to 3G cards and a 'known hardware problem that is reported with the TX1', though I don't know exactly what that is.

Hoping not to remain a 'lone voice in the Wilderness'!...

Many thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
S.E.M.
Visitor

Hello guys & girls,

I'm quite happy to tell you, that after changing a variety of COM port settings my UMTS card and the Vodafone software have decided to become friends and work together.
Even the Sony Ericcson Sync-Station suddenly is aware that my phone is USB-connected and can be sychronized, so everything is fine.
Well, bluetooth manager still insists that all I can use my phone for is as a modem.
And there are some minor problems with my keyboard I'm afraid I know the reason for... (There are some things you should not try to install on a Sony - not after bad experience.)
But generally speaking my TX1XP is nearly perfect now.
Thank you all for your encouragement and advices, I'm really learning a lot of new things in this forum.

Greetings,
S.