Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio PCG-3J1M hdd replace

profile.country.GR.title
alxamp
Explorer

Vaio PCG-3J1M hdd replace

Hello, I want to replace my old drive with a new one with more capacity, my concern is that I don't know if the new one HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD7500BPKX 750 GB is compatible with my system. The model of laptop is VAIO VGN-FW51ZF, PCG-3J1M and the old disc is seagate momentus 5400.6 500GB. 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

HI alexamp,

This drive will be compatible with your notebook but is an Advanced Format drive having 4K sectors as opposed to the original drive which has 512 bytes per sector.

This is OK unless you wish to use your original recovery media to restore the system to 'as delivered' as the disks will not work. You do of course have the option to install a retail copy of Windows and then download and install all available drivers and utilities from the Sony Support site. Most of the pre-installed software is not available for download.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Captain_WD
Explorer

Hey alxamp,

As rich912 pointed out, you shouldn't have any problems using this or any other 2.5" drive that uses the SATA interface (or a SSD or a SSHD or a dual-drive for that matter). It is recommended that you create a new recovery and system repair disk due to the different sector size.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the drive!

Captain_WD.