Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO flip 15 SSD boot problem

profile.country.GR.title
reptile64

VAIO flip 15 SSD boot problem

Hello everybody.

I upgraded my Sony Vaio flip 15 to Windows 10 and I replaced my SSHD with an SSD (Kingston V300 240GB). Most of the times when I restart my PC it takes up to 50" at the "Welcome" screen. (note that sometimes it takes only 2-3", a normal value for an SSD).

I enabled the Verbose messages in the registry to view what it takes so long to load and I found that it is stuck at the "preparing Windows" message.

I tried reinstalling windows several times, disable many devices and services/startup apps one after the other until something comes up but nothing seems to help.

Also I turned off and on the "quick startup" option under power settings to see if it makes any difference when I shut down the machine instead of doing a restart but still the same.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi reptile64,

I have no experience of Win 10 but slow start-ups with any versions of Windows are often caused by driver problems. Have you tried booting in Safe Mode? If this achieves an acceptable boot time then it may be worth disabling the graphics driver and then booting normally.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GR.title
reptile64

I accidentally marked your reply as a solution, I tried to boot in safe mode and indeed it is faster but also all the services (except from Microsoft services) and startup apps do not load during a safe mode boot, I have disabled all the devices that could cause the problem one by one and still nothing.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have unmarked my reply as the correct solution.

Have you tried disabling the graphics driver?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GR.title
reptile64

Thanx rich!

Yes I tried but it didn't help either, I completely disabled the intel first and then the nvidia but still the same, weird thing is that sometimes it boots in seconds...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It's certainly strange that occasionally it will boot normally, but assuming that you have tried Safe Mode on multiple occasions and the result is always the same it would indicate that one of the startup items is causing the problem. The troubleshooting I have used in the past is extremely time consuming but effective - that is to disable all startup tab items using msconfig (assuming that this is available in Win 10), reboot and then enable one item at a time followed by a reboot. Unfortunately, given that it occasionally boots normally this method may not necessarily be conclusive.

Have you checked the Sony support site for any Windows 10 compatibly issues?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GR.title
reptile64

I tried everything even disabling all the startup services and apps and enabling one after the other with constant reboots, nothing helped, the delay came back at a random point again. In the Win10 support page it says that everything should run fine, to be honest everything runs smoothly as butter, the only thing that bothers me is that of the random slow boots. 

Thanks for your interest and your time :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I, like you, am at a loss as to what the problem is. A problem with the SSD comes to mind but as Safe Mode seems to work OK this can probably be ruled out. Have you considered posting a question on one of the many Windows 10 forums?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GR.title
reptile64

I pressed the äccept as solution"button again, it is so nice an big I can't resist! LOL :tongue:
I tried the Microsoft's forums but I haven't got a single reply yet... I also uploaded a bunch of system reports and logs for developers to see, if they see them they will figure out what's going on but I wonder... will anyone see them at last?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

LOL I've removed the accepted solution. Good luck with the MS forums - not too impressed with any help there for anything but basic questions....

MS telephone support may be an option 0344 800 2400

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat