Join now - be part of our community!

USB-connected mouse suddenly stops moving on Sony Vaio Z laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
eseyidli
Visitor

USB-connected mouse suddenly stops moving on Sony Vaio Z laptop

Hi.

My model number is VPCZ21C5E. It is 2011 Vaio Z series ultraportable laptop. OS is on Windows 7.

Once in a while my USB-connected mouse suddenly stops moving (trackpad still works - so it is only external mouse that stops). If I disconnect it from the USB socket and reconnects, the system detects the mouse and it starts working again.

This problem did not exist when I bought the laptop a year ago. I started happenning 3-4 months ago. I can not link it any software/event on my laptop.

I also do not think it is a physical problem on USB port becuase it I tried it on both ports and the problem happens on both ports - so seems to me a software/OS level problem, though it is possible that both USB ports have a problem but unlikely.

I would be thankful for any suggestions on how to fix this problem appearing. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi eseyidii,

Start by making sure that none of the USB Root Hubs are set to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power. Open Device Manager > Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right click each one and select Properties > Click the Power Management tab.

If that has no effect there may possibly be a fault with the mouse itself - have you tried another mouse?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
eseyidli
Visitor

Thank for suggestion, Rich.

I have looked at Universal Serial Bus Controllers and some had Power Management tab and all were set to "allow". So I turned them off now. Will need to continue using the laptop for few hours/days to see if the problem happens again. I think it may have solved it.

Thans again.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Please let us know how things progress.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat