Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading memory on PCG-k215m

profile.country.en_GB.title
somnolent
Visitor

Upgrading memory on PCG-k215m

Hiya

I'm trying to upgrade an old VAIO PCG-k215m for my Mother to use.  By default it came with two 256MB sticks, giving it 512MB minus the memory used for graphics.

The laptop's specs say it is upgradable to 1GB, so I bought two 512MB Corsair sticks [1].  After upgrading, I still found I had 512MB of memory 😞  Each individual stick is recognised as 256MB minus graphics memory, regardless of which slot I put it in, both by the BIOS and Windows.

Bit of a long shot, but is there anything special I have to do to make it see the extra RAM?  I couldn't see any BIOS settings that looked relevant.

[1] PC2700 (333) unbuffered - bit faster than the PC2100 (266) recommended by Corsair's web site, but it was all I could find.

Thanks,

--Jon

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jon,

Memory suitable for this machine is DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333  and you are correct that it should accept 512MB per slot.

Where are you receiving the information on amount of memory recognised?

There is nothing that needs to be changed in the BIOS for the system to recognise the full memory.

Have you tried a single 512MB module to see whether this is correctly recognised?

Ultimately if the memory modules are jointly not recognised correctly then return them and try another supplier that guarantees compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20PCG-K215M&Cat=RAM

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
somnolent
Visitor

Hiya

Thanks for your reply.  I bought this memory:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/512mb-corsair-value-select-ddr-so-dimm-pc2700-(333)-200-pin-non-ecc-u...

I checked the memory available in the BIOS and in Windows.  Each individual stick is only recognised as 256MB, regardless of which slot I put it in.

So maybe the memory just doesn't work with this laptop 😞

Thanks,

--Jon

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi somnolent,

We have had reports in the past that some suppliers memory will work with Vaios and some not. I personally have never had a problem over 10 years with modules purchased from Crucial.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jon.  Afternoon Rich.

We have seen this before a few times on the forums - I think it is something peculiar to Corsair modules.

:wink: