Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading integrated graphics?

codename47
Visitor

Upgrading integrated graphics?

Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the graphics card on notebooks (in particular the PCG-K2x series)? If so, can anyone recommend any graphics (any size, ideally 128Mb) with Pixel Shading?

Kind Regards,

Kenneth

8 REPLIES 8
William
Visitor

Unfortunately it would be impossibleas the graphic chips are integrated on the motherboard.

Technically it is now feasible with removable cards but it has not really caught on yet.

codename47
Visitor

Ah now I understand, whilst i'm fairly good with computers I never fully understood what intergrated graphics meant, so thanks :slight_smile:

You say that techincally it is feasible with removable cards, is there anyway I could go about this?

William
Visitor

Ah now I understand, whilst i'm fairly good with computers I never fully understood what intergrated graphics meant, so thanks :slight_smile: 

You say that techincally it is feasible with removable cards, is there anyway I could go about this?

No, The ideal is based around the notebook having a removable graphics "slot" so you can just unplug your old module and push in a newer faster updated one.

We all live in hope :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

LOL technology seems to be going backwards. I have a GR series (three years old) with the graphics on a daughter board.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
William
Visitor

LOL technology seems to be going backwards. I have a GR series (three years old) with the graphics on a daughter board.

But can you get an upgraded daughter board?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No idea, but at least I can replace it if it goes belly up:smileywink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
William
Visitor

No idea, but at least I can replace it if it goes belly up:smileywink:

From past experience the rest of it will go belly up first
:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

From past experience the rest of it will go belly up first

:laughing: Thanks for that vote of confidence, but I have an F series (5 years old?) still giving good service. OK it has the usual capacitor problem but with APM disabled it is still in daily use by my daughter.:smileywink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat