Join now - be part of our community!

SZ3 Hard drive upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
kiwidude_uk
Visitor

SZ3 Hard drive upgrade

I have a Sony Vaio SZ3XWP/C bought at the end of 2006. Tempted to replace it but it "does the job" other than it would be nice to put in a bigger drive than the 100GB it came with. I've already upgraded to Windows 7 which runs fine.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to put a bigger drive in a notebook this old and if so what type or model I should look for? Many thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Any 2.5 inch SATA HDD should fit as long as it is the slimline type (9mm thick).  These are now available up to 500GB.  Go for a 7,200rpm or a 5,400rpm drive.  7,200rpm will be slightly quicker, slightly noisier and slightly more power hungry.

See selection here: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=seagate+momentus+sata&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=6...

You will see a cheap 2.5" HDD USB External Caddy on the same page which would enable you to transfer files from your old HDD.

The  bad news is that replacement of the HDD requires the removal of the keyboard and the palmrest which is fairly major surgery.  If you decide to go ahead, send me your email address by PM and I will send you the disassembly instructions.

:wink:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Any 2.5 inch SATA HDD should fit as long as it is the slimline type (9mm thick).  These are now available up to 500GB.  Go for a 7,200rpm or a 5,400rpm drive.  7,200rpm will be slightly quicker, slightly noisier and slightly more power hungry.

See selection here: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=seagate+momentus+sata&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=6...

You will see a cheap 2.5" HDD USB External Caddy on the same page which would enable you to transfer files from your old HDD.

The  bad news is that replacement of the HDD requires the removal of the keyboard and the palmrest which is fairly major surgery.  If you decide to go ahead, send me your email address by PM and I will send you the disassembly instructions.

:wink: