Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VGN-FZ21Z SD Card drivers needed

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
fraheato
Explorer

Sony VGN-FZ21Z SD Card drivers needed

Hello

We have the above 31 bit laptop, and the Sand Disk SD card refuses to load, although it will load on another Sony laptop.

Not being techie, we assume that the device needs drivers, but unable to find exactly what we need.

A while ago we upgraded the OP from Vista to Windows 7.

Would be grateful if anyone could advise whether they think that drivers are the problem, and how we would find what we need.

Thank you for your help.

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If you are using IE click Tools > View Downloads. If it is not there then click Options at the bottom left of the 'View Downloads' window and then change the default location to somewhere you can easily find and then download again.

Very similar for Firefox – again Tools > Downloads.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Hi

Using IE9.

In Tools, View Downloads, Options, there is a small dialogue box showing 'downloads', with a tick at the side of 'notify me when downloads are complete'.

I have browsed to choose Desktop, however, when selecting there does not appear to be anything to download.

Am wondering whether the drivers did download after all.

After dinner later we will attempt to download the drivers again, and save them to Desktop, and let you know how we get on.

Sorry for being an awful nuisance, but you have been really helpful and very patient.

Thank you very much.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck Frances and please let us know how you get on.

Before attempting to install the drivers can you let us know whether the Memory Card reader has a yellow warning symbol against it in Device Manager or any other devices that have a warning symbol?

To open Device Manager Click Start > Control Panel > Device Manager.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Just checked, there doesn't seem to be an item called Memory Card Reader.  However, against Mass Storage Controller, under Other Devices, there is a yellow symbol to the left.

Shall I try and re-download the drivers, or do something about the yellow symbol first?

Thank you

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Frances,

The Mass Storage Controller is the Card Reader.

Download the drivers, extract and then follow these instructions. The folder within the extracted driver folder you need to browse to is Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) 2.0G - 2.0.0.18.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.
Click Start > Control Panel.
Double click Device Manager.
Right click the device (Mass Storage Controller) and select Properties
Click the Driver tab.
Click Update Driver.
Click Browse my computer for driver software.
Click Let me pick from a list...
Click Have Disk....
Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files (Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) 2.0G - 2.0.0.18).
Click OK.
Click Next.
Click Finish.
Reboot your system if requested.

You may then need to install the Registry Patch in the folder Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (TI) Registry Patch V_A - 0.0.1.1 by double clicking RPatchA0.exe. However as I have no idea what this patch is for I suggest that you confirm that the card reader is working or otherwise prior to installing the patch.

If you don’t understand anything or have problems then please ask for further guidance.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Thanks again for your advice and information.

Going to (hopefully) follow your instructions tomorrow, and will definitely let you know how we get on.

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

fraheato
Explorer

Hi again Rich

Good news!  Managed to download the correct folder and the card reader is working again.

I followed your instructions carefully and it all worked.  Although it looked very complicated your detailed instructions helped enormously, they were so easy to follow.

I didn't seem to need the registry patch, the card reader is working again.

You've been so patient and helpful, I can't thank you enough.

I have saved both the initial zipped file and driver files on a USB stick in case a reinstallation becomes necessary.

Best wishes and thanks once again.

Frances

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re very welcome Frances and I’m delighted to hear that the card reader is now working. Forget the registry patch unless compatibility or other problems occur – it may just be Vista related but not sure.

It is rewarding when someone takes the trouble to answer questions and provide information that leads to a successful outcome as so many members of this forum post, receive a reply and then disappear without a word of thanks.

All the best,
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fraheato
Explorer

Thanks again Rich.

I'm more than grateful for all the help, advice and detailed instructions which you've patiently provided in order that I could get this card reader to work again.

Sometimes it is assumed that people know what this or that is, not realising that not everyone is technically minded.  Although I've been using computers for many years, some of the technical jargon definitely confuses me.

You've made is so easy and clear how to solve this problem, and I can't thank you enough.

Frances