Join now - be part of our community!

SHARED MEMORY GRAPHICS CARD

john130971
Visitor

SHARED MEMORY GRAPHICS CARD

Hi all,
Probably a dumb question, but I have a PCG-K215M WITH AN ati igp RADEON graphics chipset in, it can be set to 128mb max at the moment.
Is it possible to get a bios update or something to get it to use more of the memory or is it a completely impossible to tweak it to make it use more????

Thanks
John

6 REPLIES 6
feederfan
Visitor

It can be set to 32MB, 64MB or 128MB in the BIOS, if it could be set to 256MB this would be bad for your system as your system memory would be too low, i suggest you leave it at 128, that is plenty for almost any game u will play. After having 128MB of memory the GFX chip is more important in controlling graphics quality, and im afraid to say that IGP chips are rubbish! and they are always likely to be due to the space and power constraints. Nvidias latest Geforce FX6800 uses about 125W of power! the card has 2 molex connectors! So, in short, what im trying to say is there is no point in having any more memory :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Even with a BIOS update this will not be possible.
I would consider upgrading the RAM so you have a lot more system RAM, this will speed up performance.

feederfan
Visitor

Yeah, upgrading the system RAM is the best way too go, Laptops are never going to be good for the latest games, unless you buy an alienware one!

kee-lo_

Which, is not cheap.

feederfan
Visitor

No, but they are awesomely powerful, i bet even you would have one instead of your VAIO kee-lo!

kee-lo_

Oh I don't know about that, I like the VAIO, I would need to win some real money to get that!