Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing Win7 Home Edition by Win7 Pro

profile.country.pt_PT.title
cwally
Visitor

Replacing Win7 Home Edition by Win7 Pro

I've recently bought a sve14a1s1eb which comes with the Win7 Home Edition SO installed. Since i own a Windows 7 Profissional license, formated the notebook and installed it.

Now the drivers (graphic card, wifi, hotkeys,...) I get from sony support page doesn't work. I dialed the support number and they tell me the drivers only work in home edition!!! Is this true? Aren't there drivers for Windows 7 Pro?

Can't believe Sony would make a product which only works with Home Edition! Anyway always though the drivers would be the same. Very disappointed untill now with the product...

Camillo

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
firionicable
Visitor

I would be better to get all your drivers from Windows Update. Once you get a fresh install of your Windows 7 Pro, you can then search for updates and you will be able to see all the drivers necessary to run in your notebook. It saves a lot of time searching from Sony page for all your drivers.

profile.country.en_GB.title
srmans2
Visitor

I would be surprise if this was the case. Often manufactures don't "validate" the drivers i.e. test them on different OS versions as it costs so they don't want to recommend such setups or support them.

May the support team where answering your question with the answer related to 32-bit / 64-bit OS compatibility. That is, it is better to install dedicated 64-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS and 32-bit drivers on a 32-bit OS. Do you know the bit-ness of the OS you had and now have? Perhaps they were different.

Perhaps Windows Update as suggested by firionicable is the way to go and then come back to the Sony driver pages when the device manager still shows unknown devices with yellow icons.

Stephen.

profile.country.pt_PT.title
cwally
Visitor

Hi, tks for your answer first at all!

I don't think the 32/64bits issue is the way to go, the laptop is 64bit, I assume it came with 64bit SO installed and the Windows 7 Pro I'm installing is 64bit too.

Thanks for the Windows Update hint.... I had done it before but after the update got bluescreen! Now I installed all updates but not the video driver update... windows is updated. I have sound know.

Still no Wifi, no Graphic Card, no Hotkeys, no Card Reader. The biggest problem is the Graphic Card, when i try to install the driver (driver directly or via windows update) the PC doesn't boot anymore at all. Reboots at booting windows. The Wifi, Hotkeys and card reader just aren't recognized.

This problem is so strange.... Win7 Pro or Home Edition are the same SO...all should have worked fine...

profile.country.el_GR.title
dj_elgi
Visitor

I have the same problem. It is very unreliable this company, says it has support through its website.

All of this is ultimately lies. I bought Vaio and needed windows 7 pro and at Vaio-link told me that your laptop is now useless.