Join now - be part of our community!

Replace Hard Drive in All in one PC SVL2412M1EB with SSD hard disk and then perform recovery?

SOLVED
themamil
Explorer

Replace Hard Drive in All in one PC SVL2412M1EB with SSD hard disk and then perform recovery?

My Hard drive in my all in one Vaio (SVL2412M1EB) is having smart hard drive errors reported and so I need to swap it out. However, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Is the recovery partition on the original hard drive - i.e. do I need to make some recovery disks from it or it it stored somewhere else on a small hard drive elsewhere in the unit?

2) I believe the hard drive is a 1TB SATA 3.5" Hard Drive. Is it OK to replace it with a 2.5" SSD disk if I sort out a 3.5" enclosure for the new drive?

3) Would reocovery work if the new SSD disk is a different size?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Rupert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
themamil
Explorer

So I eventually simply replaced the hard drive (very easy - just take out all the screws marked MM3 and the stand popped oof, then 4 more scres for the HD casing and out it came.) with a new 1TB hard drive and the whole process was very very simple.

I suspect I could have gone with a SSD disk but didn't want to risk it in case the recovery needed exactly the same size drive. I suspect the recovery would work as long as the target drive has enough space.

Oh and it seems as though the recover partition was on the main hard drive although the Sony assist program worked fine (I suspect it was backed up and resoted using the recovery disks I created - but I cannot verify that.

Anyway problem solved and back up and running.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
themamil
Explorer

So I eventually simply replaced the hard drive (very easy - just take out all the screws marked MM3 and the stand popped oof, then 4 more scres for the HD casing and out it came.) with a new 1TB hard drive and the whole process was very very simple.

I suspect I could have gone with a SSD disk but didn't want to risk it in case the recovery needed exactly the same size drive. I suspect the recovery would work as long as the target drive has enough space.

Oh and it seems as though the recover partition was on the main hard drive although the Sony assist program worked fine (I suspect it was backed up and resoted using the recovery disks I created - but I cannot verify that.

Anyway problem solved and back up and running.