Join now - be part of our community!

Randon startup erros on RX400 range mainly 406

JWES
Visitor

Randon startup erros on RX400 range mainly 406

Suddenly my RX406 has started coming up directly on bootup with the following error:

"Hardware monitor found error: enter power setup menu for details" Hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup."

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on why this problem has occured and how it could be resolved! Getting annoying hitting F1 every time i turn the machine on.

System (in windows) stable: all temperatures are fine: system fully operatiional bar error: nothing has changed in Bios. Resetting Bios does not work!

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

What does it tell you when you're in the BIOS?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Try restoring the default settings to cure the problem (press F9 then press F10 to quit). If this does not solve the problem then the BIOS could be dying...

If you have unexplained lockups in Windows then this could point to a BIOS problem, especially if it complains about it being a non-ACPI compliant BIOS all of a sudden.

If you have installed new RAM or even if you havent, try reseating them, this may cure the problem...

JWES
Visitor

It says Nothing in my Bios: I hit F2 to enter Bios and is says nothing in Bios: all Temperatures and settings are correct and have been running correctly for a long time.

kee-lo_

Maybe you should remove the CMOS battery for a few hours and replace it, and do what James advised.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

If you can get at the CMOS battery then great, but mine would have to be serviced if it died so not all VAIO's can have the battery removed...

Is it under warranty?

kee-lo_

It's a doddle with desktops.

JWES
Visitor

Have remved battery for 10 minutes and also cleared CMOS via Jumper onboard motherboard: wiped Bios however error still occurs.

Out of intrest i wonder what make my motherboard is and weither i can get a bios update or manual? any ideas please?

So wiping CMOS/BIOS hasnt worked...any other ideas appreciated!

kee-lo_

The motherboard is made for Sony, and Sony make the BIOSes.

I would check other parts of the computer - are the fans clean? Any loose connections? Anything not functioning within Windows?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Also try using another video card to see if that cures the problem.

LOL Kee-Lo I forgot we were talking about desktops!:smileylaugh: :smileyd_oh: