Join now - be part of our community!

Processor upgrade in Vaio FE11S

avic
Visitor

Processor upgrade in Vaio FE11S

Hi! I have a Vaio FE11S with a Intel Core Duo T2400 (1,83 GHz). Would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the processor to a Core 2 Duo model, and if so, which is the best Core 2 Duo processor model I could use?

In other words, which is the best processor I can use in the FE11S model?

Thank you,
avic

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi avic,

In theory any Intel Core Duo processor can be replaced by any Intel Core 2 Duo processor because they use the same socket (M=775) in the motherboard.

However, there is not a great deal of performance to be gained by such an upgrade in a laptop computer and you are usually better off staying with the processor for which your motherboard was designed. It is not just the processor that determines performance. Both processors cost the same.

It is not really worth it unless you are specifically looking for 64-bit Operating System support.

:slight_frown:

avic
Visitor

However, there is not a great deal of performance to be gained by such an upgrade in a laptop computer and you are usually better off staying with the processor for which your motherboard was designed.  It is not just the processor that determines performance. Both processors cost the same.

It is not really worth it unless you are specifically looking for 64-bit Operating System support.:smileysad:

Right! Thank you! The goal was to get a bit more speed in general with Vista. Already upgraded the memory to 2Gb, but a bit more speed is always welcome. Since this type of upgrade doesn't really help I won't do it. It's not that I'm not happy with the performance, but some operations like converting music files between different formats, specially when performing several simultaneously, tend to be quite heavy on the processor, so I thought that maybe a processor upgrade could help. 🙂

Thanks again!
avic