Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with USB2 on a Vaio PCG-FR315B

meziane
Visitor

Problem with USB2 on a Vaio PCG-FR315B

Is somebody know how to have full speed on vaio PCG-FR315B.
My OS is Windows XP SP2 and when I try to write on an usb the speed is very slow (As I have tested it on another computer, I know that my usb key is ok on high-speed).
I have checked the documentation which mention that PCG-FR315B has USB 2 (high-speed/full-speed/lowspeed)
Have you any idea?

If somebody from sony read this post: it will be interesting to have an option "search" in forum!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It is USB2.
Have you tried every port?

meziane
Visitor

Yes I have, and always with the same result.

Any idea?

feederfan
Visitor

Are you sure your USB key is USB2 compatible? If it says USB Hi-Speed, it could just mean USB1.1, which, obviously is not the same as USB2. My USB key is quite slow also, but my VAIO will transfer at full USB2 speed to my NOMAD Jukebox.

meziane
Visitor

Yes I am sure that it is an USB 2. I try it on another PC (under linux) and it is recognized as high-speed (480mb/s).

I did the same test with an external HDD. My linux recognized USB 2 but my vaio recognizeonly USB 1.1 (full speed).

For information I have tried also on XP SP1 and on XP SP2.

kee-lo_

I would uninstall the hub in XP

feederfan
Visitor

Yup sounds like XP kicking up a fuss for a change... You should stick with linux!

meziane
Visitor

Hello,

Well, it seems that my problem is solved.
First I have uninstalled USB HUB and let XP reloaded them,
Second I have found some drivers more recent than XP drivers (on VIA site)
And last but not least, I have dowloaded a soft called Sandra and free for personal use to check the speed.
Now my USB is high speed recognised. I have made some test and I have seen than new driver are, a little, increase the actual speed. In fact I have seen that, in term of speed, the more important is less the size of files to be transfered than the number of files! More files and deep directory structure more time to forecast!

Regards and thanks for your help

kee-lo_

Great news.