Join now - be part of our community!

PCV RZ504 shuts down every now and again

herveferro
Visitor

PCV RZ504 shuts down every now and again

hello

my PCV RZ504 shuts down (and restarts) in a rough way every now and again, with no reason...well no apparent reason anyway

it seems to do this fully randomly, ie. sometimes it would stop and sometimes it wouldnt

sometimes i can use it for hours and sometimes just a few minutes!! and could be several times in a row

then when it has restarted i get this msg: the system has recovered from a serious problem (or sthg like this)

not sure what happens here

did anyone face this kind of problem? what should I do?

thanks a lot

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do you get any blue screens?
Have you cleaned the fans lately?

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi,

My RS-322 used to do this, I had installed Audio Cleaning Lab 2004, there must have been a conflict with Sonic Stage I think as soon as I uninstalled it the PC was back to normal.

Sorry its not a lot to go on but see if it is caused by anything new you have installed.

C

herveferro
Visitor

well no, i get the dark (black) screen without going blue first
(just like if i had turned power off)

i got this PC just a few months ago (in July) and the room is pretty "undusty" and clean (although some ladies would argue it could be cleaner!!) so i dont think the fans would need to be cleaned (?)

in fact when the PC restarts, i get a dialog box saying that the system has recovered from a serious pbm
when i try find more about it from this dialog box i eventually am displayed 2 files (where apparently the pbm is):

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111404-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Herve\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

obviously i have no clue what these files are about but maybe some expert like you would have an idea?

herveferro
Visitor

this is interesting because i havent installed Audio Cleaning but i am planning to do so! (looks like am looking for trouble here again!)

how did you get your PC back to normal: did you uninstall Sonic stage (how?) or audio cleaning?

(i havent installed new applications recently)

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, those error messages look mighty familiar!!! & the shut downs sound exactly the same,

Little freeze up then just like its switched off at the mains

I forgot to mention I have SS Mastering Studio which was also installed on the PC,

I uninstalled ACL and the problem stopped straight away,

Do you have any other audio software on the PC?
I suppose it could be other software too,

When I tried Sony support they suggested a system restore to a time where the problem wasn't there, but thats a big last resort (I hate doing them but it might work).

C

herveferro
Visitor

i have reported the bug to microsoft (via the dialog box - send report) and i got an immediate answer saying that the pbm was "probably" caused by the modem of my ISP and that such ISP (Free) was aware of it and working on a fix...

well...this is both reassuring and worrying, isnt it...

more to follow (?)