Join now - be part of our community!

over heated fan??

claire-louise
Visitor

over heated fan??

Hello everyone,

Once again, I need your assistence. I was using my computer the other day, downloading music onto my brand new I Pod (which my parents kindly bought me because I passed my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award, after nearly 8 years!), anyway and I was half way through downloading and my computer made this horrible noise, I cant remember how exactly. The computer (PCG-K415B) became very hot, so I took every thing out of it then it froze. I held down the power button and it finally turned off.

I have reinstalled everything back onto it, and it took forever, as the computer will now only work for about 30mins, maybe longer then it shuts down. I have managed after 4 days to reinstall everything back on (I mean do a system recovery of Disk C) and to back up my D drive. As I have said thou it only works for 30 mins and I have to wait a long time before been able to use it. It seems to work faster as well if there is a fan by it pointing at it.

My dad has agreed he will open the laptop up and we have got Compressed Air and cotton buds, I am wondering has anyone got any good ideas of what the problem may be and what I could do to help myself, I am outside the garantee time. I am happy to listen to any suggestions, as I am desperate for ideas. I cant find anything on the internet about my specific model to help with this problem (I am assuming its overheated or dust has clogged it up!)

Any ideas I would be grateful, and clear instructions on how to open the laptop with completely ruining it would be helpful! As usual I will help answer any questions I can.

Best wishes

Claire Louise

17 REPLIES 17
claire-louise
Visitor

dear twisted rizia,

I have already looked in the manual that you sent me and there is nothing in it except how to change over the memory, which I dont need. Thank you for trying to help me, but I am still at a loose end as to how I am suppose to dismantle this computer. why has sony never released instructions?? I think its very strange if people like myself are expected to dismantle the computer to remove dust from various parts of the computer.

I dont want to kill my vaio! I feel awful that I have to operate on it! I am sure that someone out there must be able to help me.

claire louise

jonti
Visitor

One of my Vaio's started to over heat so I bought an Akasa cooling tray. It has two fans plus a couple of USB ports and a nice design. It keeps the laptop running cool. It cost me about £20 and I have been using it for around 10 months with no problems. In fact the last time I tried the laptop without it the fan did not start making a loud noise and the laptop stayed cool. I use it all the time as it is light and does not interfere with my using the laptop. There are several makes on the market, mine takes it power source from the laptop but then I usually run it with the power cable plugged in and not from the battery. It is a cheap and cheerful solution.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Claire

They don't tell you how because they expect you to throw £££s (or €€€s in your case) at them to fix it.

Have you tried asking over at VAIO-Village? They love tinkering with VAIOs there and most of their members love modding them too. I am sure someone there has the service manual.

http://p200.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony

claire-louise
Visitor

Dear Jonti,

Thank you very much for your letter, i will try and find one, or something similar, I live in France so I cant get hold of the same brand, but I will definately have a look round.

Thank you again and definately worth knowing!

Claire Louise

claire-louise
Visitor

Dear Kee Lo,

Once again, I appreciate your response. I do totally agree with you as to why Sony wont release a proper manual. I am sure they must make so much money a year on people like me, who dont want to break the computer but know the fan has overheated.

I will try the vaio village, thou I have never heard of it before you mentioned it. Thank you for all your help and sorry that I couldnt get the answers I was looking for here this time.

Take care till we next speak, which i am sure (knowing my luck with my computer) sooner then I think

Claire Louise

kee-lo_

Are you near a FNAC? I am sure they'll have one of those laptop coolers.

I was there last month and it was nice to have a look around the laptops without some salesperson hassling me like they do in Dixons in the UK

claire-louise
Visitor

Dear Kee Lo

I do live near a FNAC, my dad opened my computer today but we couldnt get anywhere near the Heat Sink we could see it but couldnt get to it, its almost like there are hidden screws that we couldnt see. It has helped slightly and we believe it is still the dust has clogged it up as there was a lot of dust that came out of it when we blew in it with compressed air.

I will definately try going into FNAC and seeing if I can find the cooler.

Thank you, I do know what you mean about not having sales persons harassing you when you are trying to look around the store. I just love the way that there is so much more trust out here then in UK.

Anyway thank you again, if anyone has any ideas how you get to the Heat sink on a PCG-K415B I would be grateful!

Claire LOuise

kee-lo_

Yes I know, it's nice to not be pestered until you need the help.

You should really blow the rubbish outwards

I remember some guy doing this and he had a huge piece of fluff the size of Tom Selleck's tash!