Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

6800gt
Visitor

Nvidia G84m/G86m faulty chip happen to Vaio??

I just wonder if anyone has the alleged graphic problem with your vaio series. I got AR51J with 8400m GT early this year. So far it works fine, but not sure it would die shortly :slight_frown: :smileysad:. What's the sony's response?

origin story: All Nvidia G84 and G86s are bad
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Channel Vendors Demand Graphics Cards Suppliers to Recall Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Cards.
Resellers Want to Return Potentially Faulty Nvidia GeForce Graphics Boards to Makers
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080725123120_Channel_Vendors_Demand_Graphics_Cards_Supp...

347 REPLIES 347
profile.country.en_GB.title
oumayer
Visitor

Hi Felix,

I have a SONY VAIO VGN-NR32S/S, which also has the same defective NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GT GPU.

I sent them several emails, but to no avail. Even though it is a well known fact that this chip is Inherently faulty, SONY did nothing for their consumers. Whereas DELL, APPLE, HP sued and got a settlement claim for their consumers. SONY did nothing for theirs.

Anyway, No more SONY products for me ever again !! But, I m willing to participate in taking action against SONY for installing a chip known to be faulty and not doing anything about it. SONY claims that only some models are affected, if that is the case, why is it that other brands with the same chip are facing the same problems??????

It's all corporate fraud , something has to be done about it. Why are people not doing anything for their hard earned money? I fail to understand.

If you are willing to get somehting done, count me in.

Regards

carcenci
Visitor

Hi Oumayer, Felix, and all others

Same here: VGN-NR21Z bought in June 2008 encountering problems which match those described above. Seems like I am also victim of a defective NVIDIA card.

Contacted Micro Anvika (seller) and was told that they can't offer a repair since Sony has not acknowledged the problem with my model.

There you go. As all of you, I am very disappointed as I invested in Sony believing I would be getting a more reliable product, and at the very least I would expect them to acknowledge the problem and deal with it.

I am frustrated and yet, as they probably hope, I have a limited amount of time to mess around with this, and the temptation to go and buy a new machine (surely not Sony - that's my little, if rather pointless revenge ...) is great.

carlo

profile.country.ro_RO.title
liviu.stancu
Visitor

Hello guys, it seems that I also have this freakin chip G86, and I had to uninstall the nvidia driver in order to start Windows 😐 (lame) and now, at boot time, after POST, when the screen goes black, it shows all kind of characters...I have an VGN-FZ11Z bought in 2007.

mwright11
Visitor

I too bought a sony vaio NR32S/S and not long after the 12 month warranty had problems with the graphics card and although sony have recognised other models have a problem , this model is not on their list so will do nothing to help . It is an absolute disgrace and i will never buy SONY again , TOTAL RUBBISH aftercare !

mwright11
Visitor

Mine is exactly the same , can only get it to start in safe mode .Somebody at SONY has got to hold their hands up and repair these laptops .Come on guys play the game!

lukcouch
Visitor

Add me to the list of unsatisified sony buyers, first a faulty HDD and now I get the large random colour blocks as described above as soon as the laptop turns on, no reply from Sony or the company I purchased it from yet.

Model: vgn-nr21z

Wellyella
Visitor

Add me too.  Really unimpressed.  Sony refusing to repair my VGN-NR21z as saying my model was not affected by the faulty Nvidia card.  After a fight with Sony I got an independant report which states there was no damage to the lap top and there is a fault with the NVidia Graphics card etc etc etc.  I then send the lap top to Sony, who inspect it and state it has liquid damage!!!  Never has liquid been spilt on it and the independant report backs that up.

What made me laugh was a comment I got for Sony customer services 'Well Mrs...., you can't expect electrical items to have a lifetime guarantee' .  Oh so since when was 2 years a lifetime!!????

So I am still trying to resolve this and liaising with the Financial Ombudsman now.

I will never touch a Sony Product again, especially with the lack of help I have had through all of this.

Message was edited by: Wellyella

geocrowd
Visitor

Hello again,

Does anyone know the best Sony UK address to send compaints regarding the G86m fault?

Many thanks.

profile.country.en_IN.title
abhtalla
Visitor

HI,

I also got the laptop from UK but I am in India now. Did you get your Vaio fixed? If yes, how??

Please help me I am really desparate to get it fixed :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

For new people reading this thread...

I mentioned earlier in this thread that Sony have released a statement - Distorted video, random characters or blank screen issues due to failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip

Contact details can be found on the vaio support site..

Vaio support.JPG