Join now - be part of our community!

My Sony Vaio VGN-CS11Z shuts itself down frequently but irregolarely

Petee_bg
Visitor

My Sony Vaio VGN-CS11Z shuts itself down frequently but irregolarely

Hello Sony!
My name is Petar Petrov and I have a problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-CS11Z (red color). It shuts itself down frequently but irregolarely no matter if it's connected to the AC/DC power or not. The reason? Well...:
The voltage coming from the AC-DC adaptor or from the battery is about 20 volts.
Processors work with lower voltages (2-3 volts) to reduce thermal loss
so, the voltage from battery has to be regulated down to the cpu-voltage and it has to be stabilized.
For stabilization there are 11 capacitors around the cpu.
These capacitors are exposed to the heat generated by the processor and loose their capacitance gradually (in course of some years)
resulting in an unstable voltage supply to the processor.
But why is the laptop shutting down?
There is an internal safety device inside the processor.
This "thermal sensor" is supposed to tell the operating system when the cpu gets too hot resulting in
an immediate shutdown to protect the processor from overheating.
Having the situation of an unstable cpu voltage supply the thermal sensor is sending an overheat-message to the OS falsely.

It seems that this problem exists in many Sony computers but Sony is totally neglecting it.
I live in Bulgaria, what could I do to fix my computer? I bought it in Italy in october 2008 and used it just several times.
Thank you in advance!
Petar Petrov
e-mail: petee_bg[at]yahoo.com

4 REPLIES 4
leolca
Visitor

I have a problem like yours with my Sony Vaio VGN-CS11Z. I bought it on June 2009 and on January 2010 it has started to present the following problem: it suddenly shuts down with no explanation. Then, I try to turn it on again, and it keeps shutting down before the Operational System even starts to load. I have monitored the temperature in my CPU and GPU, and I could not find a relation with those sudden shutdowns. I have tested the memory, and it is okay. I guess it is some sort of a problem with the motherboard.
I made some videos to show what happens:
http://www.cefala.org/~leoca/videos/video-2010-02-13-19-47-01.mpg
http://www.cefala.org/~leoca/videos/video-2010-02-13-19-47-57.mpg
http://www.cefala.org/~leoca/videos/video-2010-02-13-20-12-39.mpg
http://www.cefala.org/~leoca/videos/video-2010-02-13-20-13-45.mpg
I contacted Sony Support in Germany, where I bought the computer, and they said they would give me a new one if I were in Germany, but now I am back in Brazil. I have also tried the support of Sony here, and they said they have nothing to do with this problem, just like they
were two separated companies. I don't agree with that.
Well... welll... could you find a solution to your problem?
Regards,
Leonardo

tartuga26
Visitor

Hey all,

I have a Vaio VGN-CS11S/Q that has the exact same problem... don't know what to do with it... I tried reinstalling the os but no luck... the pc shuts down randomly... even when it boots or even with an linux live cd... so I'm guessing isn't os related... so its probably hardware... I'm going to call sony support and see what they say...

[]

Marinho.London
Visitor

I installed a notebook monitor in my Laptop VGN-CS11Z, and I found out that the problem is overheating.

I think the laptop already have a security system to shut it down when it gets overheating.

So that why is ramdon,

Try to put a fan under the laptop, those table with a cooler for laptop that the problem will stop.

So, the problem is on the built in cooler inside the laptop, wich sometimes stop working, or dont even start to work.

I hope I could help.

ssh75
Visitor

Hello,

I also have Vaio VGN-CS11Z/R, which I bought in April 2009, and since 12 June 2010 I am encountering exactly the same problem as you mentioned in your post (on 25 Feb 2010).

Could you please tell me what was the issue and how you solved it?

Thanks and regards,