Join now - be part of our community!

My hard drive has died :(

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

My hard drive has died :(

Just wanted to tell you all how sad I am. My desktop started booting up really slowly about a week ago and now it won¿t boot off the hard disc at all. The windows event log indicated that I was getting I/O errors and timeouts. Before you ask, no I haven¿t got a backup! I've swapped it over for an old hard drive with Win98 on it, to prove I could boot off that, therefore I assume it must be the hard drive and not the controller. I¿m hoping I can get a new hard drive and restore my basic system on to that, and hopefully be able to access my original hard drive as a slave and be able to salvage something from it !

Wish me luck :pray:

31 REPLIES 31
TygerTyger
Visitor

Good luck Faith. Just a heads up, if you send the hard drive to Sony to get it replaced they DON'T allow you to have the old one back so you can have a crack at getting your data back. What they do instead (kindly my ass) is offer to recover your data for you, for a mere £200 - £2000. I'm sure you can imagine my reaction having assumed I would be able to try getting my data back, obviously since they won't let me and I can't afford to have them do it for me I didn't. So uh, whatever you want to try make sure you've done it all if you have to send it off if you are under warranty.

I guess it could be the OEM's policy not Sony's, but I was seriously, seriously annoyed. Phew.

faithx

Thanks for that hun, good advice :kissing_heart: but don¿t worry as:

1)It¿s not a Sony = slapped wrist
2)I never ever have warranty = slapped wrist
3)I would never send my hard drive ANYWARE because god knows what they would find on it ¿ I surprise myself sometimes = slapped wrist
4)I don¿t trust anyone ¿ I either fix it myself or destroy it in the process = slapped wrist

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hiya, Sorry to hear of your HD's demise.

I would be fooked if mine went down, had it happen to me before so I do keep a BU of the main profiles and seriously important stuff.

Hopefully you will be able to salvage some of your data.. naughty bits and all!!!!

I just don't know where all the rude comes from sometimes either!

As for a new HD, Seagate ones are supposed to be good, I think thats whats in my Vaio,

And why is it all ex Comet staff never buy warranties I wonder!! lol

Hope you get it sorted out

Chris

pps, breaking computer stuff can be a very satisfiying & rewarding experience, the bigger the hammer the bigger the reward. :laughing: :laughing:

But do have a go at salvaging it first. :wink:
C

kee-lo_

I'm sure you could probably get quite a bit off it when you put it as a slave.

I wish I had access to that police CD, apparently they have tools to recover data from bad disks.

There's also a utility called bad copy pro, which can apparently recover from corrupt data.

robpaxton
Explorer

3)I would never send my hard drive ANYWARE because god knows what they would find on it ¿ I surprise myself sometimes = slapped wrist 
4)I don¿t trust anyone ¿ I either fix it myself or destroy it in the process = slapped wrist

Send it to me my dear, I'll save your data for you and you know you can trust me
:hugging: :innocent: :smileythinking: :smileytalk_to_the_hand: :smileyliar: :devil: :laughing:

faithx

Chris, it is a Seagate that has f*cked up, I¿m looking to get a Western Digital with an 8mb cache.

Never bother with warranty 'cos these days most things last at least a couple of years then after that, may as well buy new and get the latest technology :cool:
I¿ve still got a dodgy laptop that is awaiting my hammer

I wish I had access to that police CD, apparently they have tools to recover data from bad disks.
Kee-Lo, Norton disk doctor was a good utility a few years ago, and disk editor was good at hacking things too :kissing:
Send it to me my dear, I'll save your data for you and you know you can trust me
:hugging: :innocent: :smileythinking: :smileytalk_to_the_hand: :smileyliar: :devil: :laughing:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh thanks hun, as thoughtful as ever :wink: :kissing_heart: I'll send it to you if I get no joy - I'm sure you would have plenty though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

chris_lewis
Visitor

Ahh :smileyd_oh: :smileyd_oh: :smileyd_oh: :smileyd_oh:

Sorry...

C

faithx

Don't be sorry Chris, be happy :kissing_heart: :smileygrin:

chris_lewis
Visitor

Thanks,:smileyhappy:

I just know what a pain it is....