Join now - be part of our community!

My Belkin USB 2.0 Notebook card only runs at USB1 please help.

dave555-8
New

My Belkin USB 2.0 Notebook card only runs at USB1 please help.

Hi, I recently purchased a 500 gig hard drive which I find takes days to fill when tranferring data. Because of this I bought a Belkin USB2.0 Notebook card. Unfortunately it will only run at USB1 speeds. I understand from researching various web sites that putting an add on USB2 card of various manufacturers in various laptops does not work.
I am wondering if there is a known USB2 Notebook card (PCMCIA I believe they call them)which is known to work successfully in my laptop which is a Sony Vaio PCG-FX905P.
I know its relatively old and some may say go buy a new one. However this laptop does everything I want it to bar the speed of transfer of large amounts of data so desperately need a USB2 connection. Cheers Dave PS I tried a search on this topic but could not find any

14 REPLIES 14
dave555-8
New

Hi Rich

I followed your instructions but still no joy.

I did a search and the files VULFNTH and VULFNTR did not exist anywhere on the hard drive including hidden locations.

Within driver details usbhub.sys usbport.sys usbuhci.sys and usbui.dll appear in VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller.

Also none of the codes appear VT6202, VT6212 or VT8235. Or at least I cannot find them. This does however make me wonder if I am looking in the right location as no VT codes appear at all. I then decided to a search for files with beginning with the word VT6 and came up with several in C\WINDOWS\i386\DRIVER.CAB including vt6000_1.ppd and VT600p_1.ppd etc but no codes you mentioned.
You say that the files are 'lower filters' so I looked in the Device manager, VIA REV 5..., properties, DETAILS, and select Class lower filters. It has nothing in that location. Am I confusing myself as to them being the same filters or should there be something there.

Hope this helps

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dave,

Can I suggest that you run a free Scan for USB 2.0 English only driver package driver related errors from here ?

I have no idea as to what information this will provide but worth a go….

It certainly seems that the problem you are experiencing is driver related but I am not familiar with the VIA USB controller, and as Sony has not released an update it may be necessary to try the manufactures own updated drivers. This is not necessarily to be recommended but as long as you take the precaution of creating a Restore Point prior to installation recovery, in the event of a problem, should not be a problem.

As mentioned previously I do have a copy of updated VIA drivers that I think are relevant to your hardware and can email these to you if you PM me with an address.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dave555-8
New

Hi Rich

I'm afraid I downloaded the drivers from that link and it still didn't work doing all the processes you described within your email :cry: .

Regards

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dave,

Did the drivers install OK? If so I guess that it must be a hardware incompatibility :slight_frown:

Have you tried Belkin support? In my experience they are most helpful...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dave555-8
New

Hi Rich

Well the drivers installed ok and I have been in touch with Belkin and I have to tell you that your experience with Belkin was better than mine. I had seen reports on how bad Belkin support was, from other purchasers of their gear on other web sites, but this was a whole new experience!.
My reply from them was to repeat what I said preceeded by 'I understand that' and sugessted I check the usb drivers with no method, even though I stated I loaded their drivers. Also, I would not describe myself as particularly adept with English, but a close approximation to it from them would have been nice. :thinking:
Time to buy a new laptop I think.

Regards

Dave, ps hope you had a good christmas and New Year party.