Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Upgrade Problem

boguemeister
Visitor

Memory Upgrade Problem

:cry: Hello folks, I hope someone can help me. I recently tried to install a second memory module in my VGN-T2XP.
I bought the memory module from Sony Style - VGPMM512I.AE - 512 MB Memory Upgrade for VAIO S2, S1 and T Series. This module is made by Samsung.

Anyway, the whole procedure went fine (very fiddly though) until I tried to restart my machine. It failed to boot and the screen remained blank. I shut down the machine and took out the memory module. This time my machine started up normally.

I then reinstalled the memory module and the machine started normally but the memory upgrade faled to register - I was told by SysInfo that I still had 512mb of Ram. I was expecting to see a lovely 1 GB on board. I repeated the procedure about four more times and I had the same result - the machine would load XP with the new memory on board but the upgrade did not register. Now I have taken the memory back out of the machine again. I took appropriate electrostatic precautions but I am concerned that I may have been sent dud memory in the first instance. Would this be a very rare occurrence? Also, why would my machine fail to start on the first install?

The slot for the memory module looks intact and normal in evry way. Can somebody advise me of any checks I could do before I send the memory module back to Sony? The memory upgrade slot on my model lies on top of the factory installed memory module and I don't think it is accessible to just swap them around. I would love to knwo why the machine behaved the way it did on my first install attempt.

I would appreciate any help from Vaio folks.

Boguemeister :cry:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like a bad module, I would send it back and ask for a replacement

William
Visitor

Sounds like a bad module, I would send it back and ask for a replacement

I would ask for a refund and then go to www.crucial.com and save some money.

boguemeister
Visitor

Thanks Kee-Lo, I appreciate your assessment of my predicament. I really do hope that I am now the proud owner of an expensive piece of dud semi-conductor (soon to be fired back to Sony). I am saying this cos' I hope I don't have one of those RAM slot soldering botch jobs I hear mentioned far too frequently.

I was wondering....do dud memory modules turn up frequently?

Boguemeister :thinking:

boguemeister
Visitor

Hi William, had the same thought myself. Are there any warranty issues about going down this route (crucial.com) I wonder ?

Boguemeister

Eugenepang
Visitor

Hi William, had the same thought myself. Are there any warranty issues about going down this route (crucial.com) I wonder ? 

Boguemeister

i bought 2x1G ram for my a317s from crucial... almost a year ago n still goin great...

William
Visitor

Boguemeister

Hi Boguemeister,

All I would say is that if you need to reurn your laptop for any reason you could always remove any "Non Sony" RAM.

At the end of the day I am sure you legally can put any suitable RAM in your Vaio but it is one less thing to argue about if Warranty is involved.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes and Crucial are very reliable

boguemeister
Visitor

Thank you Vaio-masters,

I'll send the memory module back. Hopefully this will be a painless endeavour.

Boguemeister