Join now - be part of our community!

Maximum RAM on 64 Bit Win 7

Mig
Visitor

Maximum RAM on 64 Bit Win 7

Hi Guys,

Have an FZ21Z with maximum RAM of 3-4GB under vista 32bit.

Can anyone tell me how high I can go under Windows 7 64bit? Cant find any info!

Thank you
Mig

4 REPLIES 4
ash_c64
Visitor

"While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB, when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB"

this is why i use Windows 7 64bit as my nw11z/t has a max of 8gb which i will update from my 4gb.

Mig
Visitor

Thanks Ash. :slight_smile:

The support page confused me (well I confused my self).

:thinking: Can anyone else clarify if the motherboard on my FZ21Z can handle more than 4gig of RAM?

Ash's post about the various windows limits is great but i'm looking for model specific info. Would really speed up my workflow if I could go higher than 4 gig!

Cheers,
Mig

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mig,

The specifications for your model suggest that 4 gig is the maximum that the hardware will support.

If this is the case then a 64 bit operating system will make no difference as this is a hardware restriction.

Members have reported that some models will recognise more than the recommended limit but only a user with a FZ21 series that has actually installed more than 4 GB and had a stable system will be able to confirm this...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ash_c64
Visitor

yes the FZ21 can only take 4gb ram maximum so if your laptop is running at 4gb then the 64bit wont make a difference. If you get less then 4gb then installing 64bit should give you 4gb of ram.