Join now - be part of our community!

Length of time laptops should be kept on for max.

waleed_wc
Visitor

Length of time laptops should be kept on for max.

Hi,
this may sound wierd but i leave my laptop on overnight downloading software sometimes, and i dont turn it off the next morning either, as long as your fan and heatsink works fine there wont be a problem, but the adapter does tend to get very hot sometimes, i realised this when i plug the adapter in different sockets just like "Joe B." said. But mostly it is fine.
Email me on waleed_wc@hotmail.com if you ahve anymore questions.
Cant promise anything

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
1234567ty
Visitor

I have a Vaio PCG-GRZ615M, and the adaptor on the mains cable gets really hot after 3 hours, will this wreck it, and what is the max. amout of time that a laptop should be kept on for?

kee-lo_

I know some people who run theirs 24/7 for years.
I don't normally do more than 10hrs.

JoeB.
Visitor

observ the temperature of you power supply on different powersockets/outlets... i have some very weak power sockets in my house... if i hook up my p-supply to these sockets it gets very hot, and then on other sockets it stays within suitable temperature.
so if your notebook is sucking more watts than what is available on the power socket, your power-supply heats up!

1234567ty
Visitor

Thank you very much! Harry B Reeve

kee-lo_

Yeah, and with power surge protectors from Belkin they help you maintain a suitable power supply.

1234567ty
Visitor

Thanx Kee-Lo

kee-lo_

I don't leave mine on overnight, I just do around 9hrs a day, well enough really.