Join now - be part of our community!

lcd display blanked out

gofer21
Visitor

lcd display blanked out

Hi I switched on my Sony GRX616 Labtop today, and the screen flickerd then went really dark, it has remained that way. I can only access the pc via an external monitor, i think it maybe either the back light or even worse the LCD screen is screwed.
Anyone else have this problem or no of any possible solutions?

thanks Gofer

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

A LOT of people have had this problem.
The only thing to do is replace the inverter.
Which you can do yourself or get a trusted notebook repair place to do it for you.

How old was the notebook?

gofer21
Visitor

its around a year old,series GRX616SP but think its just out of the gurantee. I dont really care what it costs, as i really need this labtop working again as its for work. How difficult is it to do on yourself ? thanks Gofer

kee-lo_

It's more fiddly than difficult.
Hopefully someone whos done this can give you a clearer picture.

robpaxton
Explorer

It could be either the backlight or the inverter - try the cheapest first.

Dismantling the screen is pretty easy so long as you have a good set of miniature screwdrivers. I've just finished taking the screen on my Toshiba 3000 apart - the screen did exactly what yours did. I dismantled the whole display unit to get the part numbers and after I reassembled it, it lit up and has never been a problem since (touch wood).

All it takes is a little care and attention and you should be able to do the job without any problems.

kee-lo_

Dismantling the screen is pretty easy so long as you have a good set of miniature screwdrivers.  I've just finished taking the screen on my Toshiba 3000 apart - the screen did exactly what yours did.  I dismantled the whole display unit to get the part numbers and after I reassembled it, it lit up and has never been a problem since (touch wood).

Wow nice work Rob
:slight_smile:

gofer21
Visitor

well hopfully will find a decent labtop repair shop tomorrow.
These things always happen when everything is closed! never on a weekday. Dont think I will rish trying to take the unti apart myself, just hope its either the backlight or the inventer.

Thanks to all for replying to this post.

kee-lo_

Good luck.
If you are in the UK try yell.co.uk