Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop randomly shutting down

profile.country.en_GB.title
Jammiedee
Visitor

Laptop randomly shutting down

Okay, i have a fairly old laptop and the warranty has run out. It's model is a VGN-CS11Z. It is shutting down randomly. No BSOD or restart,as if someone ripped the battery out. If I leave it ideling it can run for a long time. however when i open anything (firefox,games,prime95) it shuts down within moments.. After it has shut down it seems to struggle to even boot up. I have tried to run a virus scan in safemode and it got to 95 percent and died. After that i ran HWmonitor and all the temperatures were about 35C and it died(again). It is is running a relatively new install of Windows 7. I have removed the battery and ran it plugged in to the mains. No change. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Random shutdown without a BSOD can be caused by many things but the most likely are overheating of the CPU or GPU, or a main board power problem.

Apart from clearing the fan vents to prevent overheating, there is not much a user can do and you may need to talk to one of Sony's Service Partners near to you for advice.

A full list of UK Service Partners can be found here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CS11Z_R

:neutral:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Jammiedee
Visitor

Blencogo wrote:

Random shutdown without a BSOD can be caused by many things but the most likely are overheating of the CPU or GPU, or a main board power problem.

How can this happen my temperatures are only 35C most computers can comfortably run way above these temps

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is that the GPU Temperature?

If so then a main board power problem is more likely.