Join now - be part of our community!

Just received Vista Upgrade - Thoughts Please

Leetay
Visitor

Just received Vista Upgrade - Thoughts Please

Hi All

Just received my Vista Upgrade after 4 months, not bad for Sony Eh!!!!
However, afer reading hundreds of posts from here and other sites i'm a bit reluctant to install it due to the problems I may inherit??

Has anyone else installed the upgrade 'Pain Free'?????

I have a AR21M by the way, which is running sweet at the moment.

I also run Acronis Backup, so at a pinch could restore to present time if required!

Comments appreciated, although i'm sure this has been covered to death -'Sorry'!

Cheers

Lee

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Leetay,

I have found this post that may be of interest, I think there are others in the forum though..

clivus
Visitor

Hi Leetay.
I too have an AR21M, I gave up waiting for my free upgrade to Vista so went out and bought it from a retailer, my initial problems were loss of sound which i soon rectified and like just about everyone else I also lost and still don't have the webcam. Other than that everything works perfectly including all the buttons, and yes I'm glad I made the upgrade, I'd go for it if I were you unless the loss of the webcam is important to you.

Leetay
Visitor

Hi

Yes, may give it a go, like i say, can always go back to original.
Do all the programmes you have installed/data/passwords etc etc stay intact on the upgrade, or does it all get formatted in the process??

Cheers

clivus
Visitor

Hi again Leetay. Going by memory, you will first most definitely have to uninstall the Alps Blue tooth setup, and Nortons Ghost else upgrade comes to a halt, i also uninstalled the complete Norton setup as it also proved troublesome. other than that the upgrade went smoothly and all went well and I didn't notice any loss of passwords, personal data etc. When i found i had lost the sound it was suggested on this forum that i uninstall the drivers for the sound, reboot and then reinstall them and reboot and it all worked perfectly.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Leetay,

I thought that it mentioned in the installation instructions that Sony only supports a clean install using the Express Upgrade discs... :thinking:

I've read that the Vista express upgrade pack should include an installation manual, and three CDs, Windows Vista, Drivers, and an Applications Disc..

Leetay
Visitor

Yes it does, i'll have to read up on it, if it is only a clean install, they'll be filed in the bin!!! as there is no way I am re-installing all the programmes etc that i have on the machine currently, this will take forever!

I'll have a look!

Leetay
Visitor

|Yes you are correct Thalamus, its ONLY a 'Clean Install' oh well, the bin awaits!!!

All that waiting for nowt really, will have to go out and get a retail upgrade version if i want to keep my 3rd party software I suppose.

Or could just wait until i upgrade my laptop next year.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think they do that so you have fewer problems installing it.