Join now - be part of our community!

is it possible tp upgrade laptop?

bodeiseifer
Visitor

is it possible tp upgrade laptop?

hi guyz,
is it possible to upgrade things like RAM, graphics cards procesor on a sony laptop?
i have vgn-a215z.

11 REPLIES 11
TygerTyger
Visitor

You can, although upgrading anything except the RAM invalidates the warranty I believe, someone else will have to convert that. You can upgrade the Hard drive, CD/DVD drive, and RAM. Not the graphics card or processor.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Upgrading the RAM is fine.

Crucial are the best for RAM

bodeiseifer
Visitor

Don't the new ATI graphics card use flexifit though?

The upcoming Radeons also use Flexfit, a new packaging design that allows notebook makers to use the same motherboard with different graphics processors. The design is a cost-saver for notebook makers and should ultimately allow laptop owners to upgrade graphics cards, a first in mobile computing, said Vora.

http://news.com.com/2100-1006-992407.html

You can, although upgrading anything except the RAM invalidates the warranty I believe, someone else will have to convert that. You can upgrade the Hard drive, CD/DVD drive, and RAM. Not the graphics card or processor.

TygerTyger
Visitor

That's interesting.......I guess they never followed it through. I'm sure manufacturers can use one motherboard for different graphics cards, but it still isn't to the point where consumers can upgrade.

kee-lo_

Thats only for the manufacturer at the moment.

bodeiseifer
Visitor

So if i want to double the RAM(i currently have 512mb in my a215z): what do i need to buy and at what cost?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

RAM Chips.

Buy them from Crucial
They even have a memory matcher for your notebook...

kee-lo_

They also have a guide on how much RAM you can install

bodeiseifer
Visitor

Cheers guyz, much appreciated:smileyhappy: