Join now - be part of our community!

Internet Explorer issues

Essexbear
Visitor

Internet Explorer issues

Hi, please help. On Thursday my desktop was working ok, no issues and internet was working fine. Friday night tried to get on but couldn't. didn't think that it was the Vaio that was the problem, thought it was the WLAN. Contacted Orange and they confirmed that there was nothing wrong with connection, borne out with an old laptop connected to the internet. I have tried absolutely everything to sort out the desktop without any luck. Tried resetting network adapters, advises everything working ok, tried firefox but can't get in that way. does anyone have any ideas ?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Essexbear and welcome to the forum.

Does your model have a Wireless Switch Setting Utility? If so you should see a Wireless LAN icon in the System Tray (Green square with LAN) - double click this and make sure that "Enable 2.4GHz Wireless LAN" is ticked (5Ghz should be unticked).

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the club,
OK many things you can do.
1.run a spyware scan using adaware or whatever your have and see if you have malware.
2.System restore to a time when it was working after your scan
3.If it is an application crash. First locate a copy of IE7.exe by searching for it in start (vista) and then uninstall internet explorer in the program files and in the componants untick the box and restart. Then go back into the control panel tick the internet explorer componant and reinstall ie7
4 Check your firewall setting are not blocking IE7

Essexbear
Visitor

Thanks guys. I tried all you had recommended and still didn't get anywhere. Have had to return it to Sony for them to look into. It's really frustrating, I hope I'll have it back before Christmas otherwise I'll have to talk to people !

Thanks again

If it's one of the L series there appears to be an issue around screensavers/WLAN switching. Have raised this with Sony (see other thread) and have an non-environmentally friendly work-round...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Essexbear,

This may be too late for you but I have just helped to solve a WLAN non connection problem for a friend with an LT series desktop.

This model has a software switch that overrides the hardware switch and I have a feeling that an update caused a wobbly!!

For anyone else experiencing this problem open Vaio Control Center > Network Connections > Vaio Smart Network to make sure that the WLAN has not been turned off...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
redmaterialgirl
Visitor

Hi - I have a new VGN-NR11/S which I used for the first time today. At first the wireless LAN worked fine but after downloading Sony and Windows updates it stopped working even though the hardware switch is on. I have tried Vaio Smart Network but am unable to open it.

If anyone can help, please let me know.
:devil:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi redmaterialgirl and welcome :slight_smile: ,

If enabling wireless connection in Smart Network fails to cure the problem then I suggest that you try a System Restore to a date prior to the Windows/Sony updates...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Don't think it's this as the date/time doesn't match, but fyi...

(December 17, 2007)
Microsoft is looking into reports that an update for Internet Explorer
(IE) released last week is causing some users to be unable to connect
to the Internet. Messages posted to several sites indicate that users
who applied the fix in the MS07-069 security bulletin were either unable
to open IE or could not reach sites once it was open.

redmaterialgirl
Visitor

Thanks for the tip. I was having trouble doing this but eventually worked it out and now it all seems to be working fine.

It seems to me that the method of enabling wireless access via the buttons on the desktop is not exactly intuitive and isn't well explained in the user guide but I got there in the end! :slight_smile: