Join now - be part of our community!

Installing Viste OEM Over Retail?

adamkandel
Visitor

Installing Viste OEM Over Retail?

Hello everyone,
I have a VAIO VGN-N21M/W. I also have a copy of windows vista home premium. What would happen if i wiped everything off my laptop and installed the Clean copy of Vista on to it.

Also, would i be able to use the serial number from my vaio copy as the one for the new copy.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
adamkandel
Visitor

Please... One at a time...

remataklan
Visitor

Welcome to Club VAIO,

I have a VAIO VGN-N21M/W. I also have a copy of windows vista home premium. What would happen if i wiped everything off my laptop and installed the Clean copy of Vista on to it.

The use of a standard installation DVD of Vista would lead you to a clean installation of Visat without any Sony Vaio drivers, utilities, and software perinstalled. That would mean that some of the functions of your notebook won't work. But you can install a Drivers and utilities package from the Sony Vaio Support page to get these functions back.

Also, would i be able to use the serial number from my vaio copy as the one for the new copy.

As all Vista DVDs are the same this is possible. Actually, I already did this.

adamkandel
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

You say you already did what I mentioned. Where did you find the seriel number? is it the one on the back of my laptop and can you tell me how many digits it is? IE. xxx-xxxxx-xxx

Thanks in advance!

remataklan
Visitor

Yes, it's the one on sticker on the back of the notebook. And it has a combination of 25 digits and characters grouped to five times five: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Remember, you'll have to activte your OEM Vista by phone. It won't possible to activate it over the internet.