Join now - be part of our community!

[:((] impossible to connect external hdd via usb

cmsd
Visitor

[:((] impossible to connect external hdd via usb

hi all,

bought an external HDD (250gb).
connecting new HDD failed via USB.
cannot find new device under device manager table, no drive letter either.

any idea? txs.

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This does sound like some sort of hardware/incompatibility problem. Is there any chance of putting the drive into a desktop, formatting and then trying the caddy again?

How does it work to assign for a 'new; drive letter? never ever done before.

Unless you have an unknown drive showing you will not be able to assign a ‘new’ drive letter only change the drive letter for existing drives.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

JE NE COMPRENDS PAS LE PROBLEME

Nous pas non plus!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cmsd
Visitor

@ Rich912

I thought something the same as well as you. I tried also to use another desktop pc (of my son) - failed on usb too.

I'm correct to open another desktop pc, put in the new hdd as a 'second' hdd > formating there > then back in the enclosure and connecting again? I've not tried this yet but makes it sense? What's happen if nothing and it's current again?

Txs.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I'm believing in that it makes no sense and no helpful process to postpone the drive letters after C and D. for my new usd hdd and change E to F, and F to G, correct?

Unfortunately this will have no effect as drive letters are handled and assigned automatically by Windows. If there is a recognised and available drive or partition the system will allocate the next available letter. Once assigned by Windows you can then change the drive letter if you so desire.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cmsd
Visitor

Txs for helping hands up to here, I'll take both the hdd and the enclosure to the shop tomorrow.
I'll post here any outcome happens after.

Txs again 😉

cmsd
Visitor

@ Rich912

Txs so far on drive letters.

Just let you know, tried another ones more installing USB MAss Storage Device with following Device Status Messeges:

Whilst connecting the HHD:

No drivers are installed for this device.
If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

After successful driver installation (as shown to me so far):

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Once more reconnecting again the message No drivers are installed ...

What's here ongoing now?

Txs.

cmsd
Visitor

... and on top during this proceeding my CD-Rom drive and letter is gone too.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Error code 45 only indicates that a device once attached to the computer is no longer attached. So possibly at one stage the drive was recognised.

Have you checked the connections within the enclosure? Are they pushed home and the correct way around? This might seem a silly question but it is beginning to sound as though the enclosure itself is not reporting the drive to the system.

The only real confirmation on this will come when you plug the drive into the IDE connector of a desktop. If this is successful you will have eliminated a problem with the drive itself which leaves the enclosure as the suspect.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

... and on top during this proceeding my CD-Rom drive and letter is gone too. 

If this is still listed in Device Manager, delete the drive, re-boot and let windows discover and re-install the drivers.
This is not your evening:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cmsd
Visitor

@ Rich912

My DVD/CD-Rom comes back again in the hardware config, so far.

Right, whenever I switch-on the external HDD then Windows recognise an USB Mass Storage Device connected to.

After 10sec the devise loose the connection and in the System>Device Manager> Universal Serial Bus Controllers it's gone too. Swiching off and on again, the device appears for seconds. Whilst in this time right click to the properties, the message: No driver .....

That's fact right now.

The brand new boxed enclosure was orig bought in a shop, guarantee still available. The HDD should be okay, as some quiet noise I can hear when power on/off and the temperature as usual.

Txs.