Join now - be part of our community!

HOW TO UPGRADE MY VGN-A397XP MEMORY?

fangorn
Visitor

HOW TO UPGRADE MY VGN-A397XP MEMORY?

Hi,
I have a VGN-A397XP with 512 MB of RAM and I want to upgrade it. There are 2 free slots for memory (one under the keyboard and another under the laptop itself. The tech spec says that I can upgrade up to 1GB (so I should use only one slot with a 512MB module). But I've seen that it exists 1GB module for the VGN-A397XP. So my question is: can I upgrade my existing 512MB by one 512MB in one slot and 1GB in the other slot?
Regards

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,
I have a VGN-A397XP with 512 MB of RAM and I want to upgrade it. There are 2 free slots for memory (one under the keyboard and another under the laptop itself. The tech spec says that I can upgrade up to 1GB (so I should use only one slot with a 512MB module). But I've seen that it exists 1GB module for the VGN-A397XP. So my question is: can I upgrade my existing 512MB by one 512MB in one slot and 1GB in the other slot?
Regards

Hi fanghorn,

It states in the spec's for your Vaio that you have a single 512MB Ram module and one further empty slot.
The total memory you can install is stated 2GB Ram.

Have a look at Crucial.com an extra 512MB ram costs just £31.99:smileyhappy:

As far as I am aware your Laptop does not dual channel memory slots so you can add different size RAM modules if you wish.

fangorn
Visitor

Hi,

If I asked this question, this is because:

1) The VGN-A397XP technical spec states that the laptop has 512MB and can be upgraded up to 1GB

BUT:

2) The link you gave me (vaio-link.com) states that the 512MB are in a slot and you can use the second slot to upgrade up to 2GB. This is false: the 512MB are on the motherboard and there are really 2 free slots. I think that I can upgrade with 512MB under the keyboard and 1GB under the laptop. So 512+512+1024=2GB. But see 1)...!!!

So, I don't know how to upgrade....

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This is false: the 512MB are on the motherboard and there are really 2 free slots.

Have you physically checked this? As far as I am aware no memory is on the motherboard (un-removable), there are only two slots, one under the keyboard that has 512MB fitted and one free slot in a compartment on the underside.

If you wish to upgrade to 2GB it will be necessary to remove the 512MB module under the keyboard and fit a 1GB module in each slot. Alternatively, as these are 2 banks of 1 they do not have to be paired, so you can fit a 1GB module in the free slot to upgrade to 1536MB or a 512MB module to upgrade to 1GB.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
thefarside
Visitor

If i remember correctly, the A3xx can only be upgraded to 1GB.
There is a free slot underneath your keyboard. You have to take the long bolts in the middle of the bottom out, then take the keyboard out. Beware, its clipped in. Look in the crack between the keyboard and the laptop. Push the clippings back, use something slender for it. Then take care, loose the connectioncable. There you go.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If i remember correctly, the A3xx can only be upgraded to 1GB.

This series can be upgraded to a max of 2048 MB.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Not that you need that much LOL