Join now - be part of our community!

How do I change ip address?

Snowball
Visitor

How do I change ip address?

Hi All,
VGN-FS315E.
XP Pro SP2.
I have been using this machine successfully by Wi-Fi from a Belkin Modem/Router until the other day when I got the message "There is limited or no connectivity.
On Belkins Client list the ip address is 192.168.2.4 but the machine is showing 169.254.36 99, which explains why there is the connectivity message/problem. The Physical Address on the machine matches the MAC Address on the Belkin Client List.
I've tried a repair with from the pop up from the two little screens in the notification area but this gives the message "Windows could not finish repairing etc"
I just need to give the right ip address (192.168.2.4)to my machine, but how do I do this?
Regards,
Snowball.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert
Snowball
Visitor

Hello Blencogo
Thanks for the reply.
I followed your link and carried out the instructions. I have now set the address manually,
which worked.
Any idea why the laptop isn't obtaining the ip address automatically?, that radio button option was selected and it used to work OK until a couple of days ago.
The laptop is only used on my home network with two desktop PC's, all are XP SP2 with the Belkin modem/router.
Regards,
Snowball.

Snowball
Visitor

Any idea why the laptop isn't obtaining the ip address automatically?

Problem resolved with the help of Belkin.
Regards,
Snowball.