Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive Upgrade on a VGC-V2M

m0dcm
Visitor

Hard Drive Upgrade on a VGC-V2M

Hi Guy's,

Just looking for some info. I've got myself a 500Gb HDD and I'd like to install it in my VGC-V2M if possible. What I'd like to know is what size HDD does the bios see up to in the VGC-V2M and is it possible so take the 200Gb one out and install the new one?

I've already upgraded the RAM to 2Gb and just want a large HDD so I can install Vista onto the V2M without worrying about space. I already have 2 external HDD's one 250Gb and one 164Gb.

Cheers in advance for any help on this....

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
vaio-freak
Visitor

I got the same model only it is a US one and by looking at the service manual, the hard drive replacement can be tricky as the drive itself is located in the stand. So if you feel comfortable disassembling it, you can give it a try. I have upgraded mine to Vista Ultimate, and it runs well.
Stan

m0dcm
Visitor

I got the same model only it is a US one and by looking at the service manual, the hard drive replacement can be tricky as the drive itself is located in the stand. So if you feel comfortable disassembling it, you can give it a try. I have upgraded mine to Vista Ultimate, and it runs well.
Stan

Many thanks for the info. Have you upgraded your HDD in yours? if so what size?

Cheers...

Dave

profile.country.en_GB.title
dobiegr
Visitor

I have the almost identical VGC-V2S model - apart from a slightly larger hard disk, 20" screen and a wireless LAN card, is the same specification of mobo etc.

It was happy to accept 2Gb of memory, and with the addition of an IDE/SATA interface which plugs into the motherboard header, and a couple of leads, I was able to easily fit a standard 3.5" hard disk with 1Tb of capacity.

It's questionable whether this is truly cost-effectve nowadays, but it kept my system running sweetly for another five years beyond what would normally have been its 'shelf life'

Incidentally, it now runs with Windows/7 Profesional.