Join now - be part of our community!

DVD drive cannot intialize

AlanEdmond
Visitor

DVD drive cannot intialize

I have just bought a new FE41S which was working fine until tonight, when I cannot get the dvd to do anything. It does not even show up in 'Computer'

On checking device manager i get this message - 'Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)'

I have tried to update the driver, however, Vaio update advises that I am using the latest driver.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
Regards

Alan

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alan and welcome to Club Vaio.

A small Registry edit may fix your problem. Be careful and don't change anything else while you are in the Registry.

1.Click Start > Search and type REGEDIT and hit enter.

2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and highlight it. Then locate UpperFilters in the right hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software – but not necessarily.

Welcome to Club Vaio and Good Luck !

:wink:

AlanEdmond
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

You are a genius :smileygrin: it worked first time!!!

I have checked my programmes and still have Roxio and click dvd installed. Is there anything else I should check as I only got the computer on Tuesday and cannot remember what dvd software was loaded.

Many thanks again for your help.

Regards

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear you have sorted it!

Just rarely, it may be necessary to reinstall the burning software if it won't work properly but it sounds like you are OK.

:smileygrin:

AlanEdmond
Visitor

Thanks again Blencogo, I thought I was going to have to send my 2 day old Vaio back to Sony.

If you are ever up in Scotland, I will buy you you a pint.

Regards

Alan