Join now - be part of our community!

DVD / CD not in Device Manager

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MadMonkey69
Visitor

DVD / CD not in Device Manager

My Sisters workplace sold off some laptops recently, but wiped them  before hand. She managed to get herself a Sony Vaio VGN-BX61MN (lovely  laptop by the way :smileywink:).

I put Windows Vista Home Premium on it for her (it had  Vista Business on before by looks of it). Had a few little issues with  drivers but managed to get everything working apart from DVD / CD drive.

It is not showing in Device Manager or My Computer. It open & closes ok, and even starts to spin etc... but just stops.

I have have been searching everywhere for an answer. I  have tried the Microsoft  Fix-it download, and the Upper & Lower  filters edit in the Registry (they are not even there). This seems to be  a pretty common problem as it is discussed in many Forums, BUT the Reg  edit is the noral cure. Not always though.

The drive must be OK, and connected up properly as it was used to instal the new system.

Please can anyone help ??

Message was edited by: MadMonkey69

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the drive is not appearing in Device Manager then almost certainly there is a hardware problem.  It sounds as if the power is still connected but there must be a bad connection in the data circuit.  Most likely a cable or connector has come loose or just possibly the drive has failed.

1. Check that there are no unknown devices showing an error anywhere in Device Manager.
  2. As confirmation, you can check in the BIOS if the drive is recognised.  To enter the BIOS, tap F2 repeatedly during startup when you see the first Vaio Logo screen.
  3. You can try reseating the drive in the hope that the connection will be restored.  I am not sure if your model has the usual easy to remove DVD drive.  Have a look at the diagrams below to see if your model has the quick release button that releases the drive - clicking on the diagrams should enlarge the view.  Note that if there is a screw in the marked hole, you will need to remove that first: -

If that does not work you can try looking inside for a loose wire (I can send you disassembly instructions) but after that it is probably a new drive - they are quite cheap these days.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the drive is not appearing in Device Manager then almost certainly there is a hardware problem.  It sounds as if the power is still connected but there must be a bad connection in the data circuit.  Most likely a cable or connector has come loose or just possibly the drive has failed.

1. Check that there are no unknown devices showing an error anywhere in Device Manager.
  2. As confirmation, you can check in the BIOS if the drive is recognised.  To enter the BIOS, tap F2 repeatedly during startup when you see the first Vaio Logo screen.
  3. You can try reseating the drive in the hope that the connection will be restored.  I am not sure if your model has the usual easy to remove DVD drive.  Have a look at the diagrams below to see if your model has the quick release button that releases the drive - clicking on the diagrams should enlarge the view.  Note that if there is a screw in the marked hole, you will need to remove that first: -

If that does not work you can try looking inside for a loose wire (I can send you disassembly instructions) but after that it is probably a new drive - they are quite cheap these days.

MadMonkey69
Visitor

Many thanks for your reply, driving my crazy lol

OK...from thetop :wink:

1. No errors at all in device manager. Also, no DVD/CD drive showing there.

2. If i look in BIOS, it there, and i can even re-assign it to a different Boot position. Atpresent its as follows:

(1) USB Opical Drive (*) : optiarc DVD RW AD-756

(2) Interneal HDD : Fujuitusu MHY2120BH

(3) Floppy (*)

(4) USB Flas (*)

(5) USB HDD (*)

(6) Network

(7)

(8)

3.It has the easy DVD to remove, i have done it several times.

So, all checks out. The BIOS seems to see it there. Well i did use it to instal the new system.

Just to add, i put the Instal disk in again, and re-booted, and it tried to run the instal from the DVD again.

It makes no sense to me. Can it be the actual drive still ??

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It would seem that this is not a hardware problem but a glitch with the controller.

Try the following:

Open Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and uninstall all - don't reboot until all have been uninstalled even if requested to do so. Then re-boot.

Windows will then discover the devices and hopefully the DVD drive will re-appear.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MadMonkey69
Visitor

Thanks Rich, I thought you had it then :thinking:

It would not let me uninstal them all, 2 of them said they would be after a re-boot, so i did the others first, then did both them until they said after reboot.....

then Re-booted

When it started back up, it said installing drivers in bottom right, so clicked to watch.

It installed 8 different ones, where as only 6 show in IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, if thats any help.

BUT, at the end, still no DVD/CD

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi MadMonkey,

Systems vary but if you have Primary and Secondary chanels listed deleted these first and then the remainder. Hopefully then Windows will allow you to complete the process without rebooting.

If you could post a screenshot of the devices listed under ATA/ATAPI Controllers we may have a better idea of the problem.

As the device is recognized in BIOS and the machine will boot from the drive it has to be a controller problem - re-installling the system using the original Vaio recovery disks should resolve the problem but purchasing the disks from Sony Support will of course cost you.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MadMonkey69
Visitor

Hope the capture below is ok. No matter in what order i try, i am always left with

One copy of ATA Channel 0  and

the Intel(R)ICH8M 3 port serial ATA storage controller - 2828

ide channels.png

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Assuming that you have tried removing the ATA channel 0 and then channel 1 followed by the remainder I'm not sure where we proceed from here.

You could try installing the chipset drivers for your model from Support (see link at the top of this page) or go for a full recovery.

There is always the possibility that the recovery partition has not been deleted - to check this out tap F10 at boot, when you see the Vaio logo. If this doesn't open the recovery utility then you will need to purchase a set of recovery disks from support.

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MadMonkey69
Visitor

After all that F10 solved it all :thinking: which is odd as i am positive i tried that when i first got the laptop. Sill, it is done now.

It does seem a major problem though. Like i said it has been discussed in many Forums i have found the last few days with no outcome (apart from deleting Upper & Lower limits in the registry). I think your ideas for the IDE drivers was the most positive result i have seen anywhere :cool:

So , Thanks again Rich & Blencogo ....all is better in the world :laughing:

Case Closed

Ian

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I'm pleased to hear that it worked out for you Ian :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat