Join now - be part of our community!

CPU USage at 100% vaio fs485b

davidaames
Visitor

CPU USage at 100% vaio fs485b

hey, i installed xp pro sp2 at my fs485b, also installes norton internet security 2006 after that the cpu usage climb up to 100% when i do simple processes with my notebook, like installing sogtware or unpacking rars... i intsalled all the drivers except the pci driver, because i couldn't find it...that would be me 2. problem.

hope you can help me

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Which process is using 100% CPU?

davidaames
Visitor

it's not a specific process...

it uses 100% at simple processes like using winrar to unpack something, playing a dvd, installing any software...everyday processes.

davidaames
Visitor

addition:

if nothing is running the cpu usage is normal 0-1% ...

the process using the most amount of cpu depends on the software running... like setup.exe or winrar.exe stuff like this...

kee-lo_

Are you using the performance profile?

davidaames
Visitor

no, what is the performance profile?

kee-lo_

If you go to Control Panel and Power Settings you can change it to performance there

kostasgr
Visitor

What you describe is not normal. Maybe Norton is doing an initial scan on your pc. I suggest you try another antivirus program like avast or nod32. The latter has very low cpu usage and better scan results to known and unknown antivirus as i read on pc magazine. If you are looking for a complete anti-virus/spyware-firewall suite stick to norton.

davidaames
Visitor

ok now i know whta you mean by performance profile... sorry i am german and wasn't familiar to the english description of it...
so i am using it...

norton doesn't seem to be the problem, i shut it down, but the problem is still present... cpu is getting weird!
is there anything i should do in the bios? or any chipset driver i schould install? the problem accured after installing xp pro... it turned really to an annoying problem!

i don't really understand, why there are problems like this (drivers, sound etc), installing xp pro on a vaio... and no support from sony for it... it's really absurd...
it's my brother's notebook, i decided to buy an samsung better in any ways!