Join now - be part of our community!

Cooling Fan running continuously on VAIO PCG-FR315S

gianni46
Visitor

Cooling Fan running continuously on VAIO PCG-FR315S

:slight_frown: I noticed tha last few months that the cooling fan on my VAIO notebook is running continuously. When I switch it on, the fan does not run, after few seconds the booting is complete it starts to run and it never stops. It is really annoying, especially when I do presentations.
Is any body that can tell me if this is normal or there is a problem occured?
Thanks
Gianni V.

9 REPLIES 9
ARCrawford
Visitor

A friend of mine had a problem with similar symptoms on his VAIO laptop...

The cooling fan was running continuously, and then after a few weeks of this, the computer started automatically shutting down without warning.

Sony's technical support team wanted him to back up the data and send the computer in, where they would fix it and return it to him "as purchased". Unfortunately, it wouldn't stay powered up long enough to actually backup the data and months of work he had stored on it would be lost if he sent it in. Given that the computer was out of warranty anyway, he decided it couldn't make the situation any worse to take it apart to see if he could find anything obviously wrong.

It turns out that using the computer in dusty rooms (i.e. his house was being rennovated and was essentially a building site) had caused a buildup of dust between the cooling fins around the processor. Without air to circulate around the processor, it was:

1. Overheating
2. Running the fan continuously
3. Automatically initiating an emergency shutdown to protect the processor from heat-inflicted damage when critical temperatures were reached.

He cleaned the dust out from between the cooling fins and has enjoyed many happy weeks of computing ever since.

Having said all that, taking the computer apart is a bit of a drastic action, and you'll probably want to explore other possibilities before considering this. Also, consider the environment in which you use your laptop and decide whether a similar scenario is likely.

Good luck!
ARCrawford.

gianni46
Visitor

Thanks ARCrawford.
Thank you for the advice and I wil check what I can do on this respect. I do agree the laptop is very compact and the disassembly could be a cumbersome operation, but I will try!
I do not think there is a dust problem, because normaly I use it in a "almost " clean room, I think most probably on a more sensitive set-up of the CPU temperature sensing device. The problem is that I do not know where to check and if there is a possibility for different settings.
Thanks Again

gianni46
Visitor

Tried to clean with vacuum fan, but no changes. Can any body tell me if there is a parameter to be set somewhere in order to swithch off this annoying sound ?. Is it because the CPU is overheating? Why should happen only now, I do not recall to have this problem when the laptop was new, or if I remember well, sometime the fan was operating but after it switched off and it started again in case of need. Is any way to test these things ? I mean without special thermometers or other external devices?
Thanks a lot for help.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Download and install Mobilemeter - this will let you know what temperature your CPU is running at.

gianni46
Visitor

Thanks a lot RobPaxton
Downloaded Mobilemeter and run it. These are the data in 30 ' time frame after Power ON; Frequency 2,66 Ghz, Temperature 54,0 -57,0 °C, Charge Rate 0,13 W (connected to Power), HDD 26,0 - 32 °C. Does this mean any thing to you?
Thanks

kee-lo_

Those are pretty good tempretures

gianni46
Visitor

Those are pretty good tempretures

Yes, but fan is runnning coninuously still since the beginning. Is it normal. Thanks

gianni46
Visitor

Correction of typing errors:

"Yes, but fan is still runnning continuously since Power On. Is it normal? Thanks for any advise. "

koymik
New

Try purchacing a compressed air,, and try spraying at the vent slots of your machine..I had this problem before, and after doing what i said,, my laptop works fine...