Join now - be part of our community!

brand new sony vaio....SLOOWWWWW as hell

profile.country.en_GB.title
popeye89
Visitor

brand new sony vaio....SLOOWWWWW as hell

hi guys and girls :slight_smile:

this is my first post on this forum, and sadly its about a negative point.

yesterday i bought a brand new vaio VPCF13M0E/B and its very slow. my old acer 6920g would leave it dead.

my new laptop seems to be using 40% of its 4gb DDR3 RAM even though firefox is the only application i have running. its also running 12 of SVCHOST.EXE

i would expect a brand new laptop with i7 1.73ghz processor to run alot smoother. sometimes it cant even keep up with my typing speed, and i cant touch type!!!

its using windows 7 64 bit OS if that makes a difference. is there anything i can do, or do i jusat have an elaborate paperweight?

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
samskywoo
New

I bought a new vaio a few days ago.. a more budget one than anything, the vpcee3j0e, but I've also got RAM issues with the win 7 64 bit. It says:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)     3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory     763 MB
Available Physical Memory     131 MB
Total Virtual Memory     6.74 GB
Available Virtual Memory     5.33 GB
Page File Space     6.00 GB
Page File     C:\pagefile.sys
Mr friend has got a toshiba laptop of around the same spec as me with win 7 and she has about 2.7gb free. From what I can see, it's because the rest of my ram is "reserved" (could just be because the dipwits didn't install enough RAM for a 64 bit machine). I'm heading back in the store to talk to someone about this as I specifically wanted a laptop for wordprocessing / photoshop / light gaming and my vaio takes AGES to boot up and then if I open Chrome and iTunes it falls flat on it's face. Word processing is a joke and alt tab is a death sentence! I upped my virtual ram to try and improve performance but it's still not what a new laptop should be. My conclusion is that the VAIO software that seems to be stuck in like a tic to windows is what is sucking up the resources, but a clean install of windows might bugger up my guarantee.

I must also add that my ram is DDR3 and my processor is AMD dual core 2.2ghz and I have an ATI graphics card installed with 256 dedicated ram - all of this combined should mean that word processing ATLEAST shouldn't make it fall over, and all the above is with the power cord in, so it's not based on battery performance.

I hope there's some sort of cure for this as I feel your pain!!

kryten68
Visitor

I had a similar experience to this.

I reinstalled Windows 7 from cleanly formatted disk and never looked back.

The machine is very capable but the factory SW build takes a terrible toll.

Reinstall and be thrilled.

Regards

Stuart