Join now - be part of our community!

Bluetooth dongle

TedBear
Visitor

Bluetooth dongle

Been struggling for hours, hope somebody can help. New Sony VGNB3VP, bought an IVT bluetooth dongle because my old data cable for my Nokia 6310i wasn't USB.
Plug & Play installed Microsoft drivers from XP SP2. I uninstalled the program, then renamed the Bth.inf and the Bth.pnf to disable them. Plugged in the dongle again, but although said new hardware found etc, nothing is working on bluetooth....any experience out there? I wouldn't mind even being able to buy a Dongle compatible with the Microsoft drivers, hope someone can help:smileycry:

13 REPLIES 13
street_spirit
Visitor

Theres an issue, at least there was with bluetooth and windows XP. Windows XP security doesn't like it or something. Most dongle manufactures have patches for it.

Exinferis
Visitor

In my experience, Windows SP2 in incompatable with (what seems to be!) almost every aftermarket piece of equipment NOT supplied by Microsoft!

Example: When I bought my Samsung Q10 a few years ago, it came with a USB Webcam; lovely little gadget that clips onto the screen when the laptop's open. It installed fine with SP1, but as soon as I installed SP2 (on a clean install) Windows kept telling me that it was incompatable and that if I did install it it might kill my computer!!! Talk about scare tactics to force you to buy accessories from Microsoft or their partners!

Don't get me wrong; in my posts it sounds like I hate Windows and Microsoft products. I don't... Well, not all of them! I just really hate someone hundreds of miles away telling me what equipment I can or can't use on my own computer! Bill Gates has made enough money, IMHO and should stop trying to scare people into buying his products all the time!

So, to answer your question, TedBear, I don't think I've ever seen Bluetooth devices that work directly with SP2's built in drivers. That's not to say they're not out there, just that I've not seen them!

Exinferis
Visitor

I wouldn't take my last post as gospal; it's just my take on things. I could be completely off the mark, so I stand corrected if anyone can enlighten me! :slight_smile:

However, having trawled the 'net looking for various odds 'n sods to upgrade/add to my laptop, SP2 compatability seems to be a major stumbling block. The amount of reviews I've read which have said "(Such and such) is a wonderful piece of kit; but for the fact that it won't install with Windows SP2 drivers..." And so on and so forth!

I don't know, maybe people are just being dim and not reading installation instructions, or not doing what you did and gain advice from people on forums such as this, but there does seem to be alot of problems with SP2. I just hope that the new OS will be a big improvement on XP, because if it's not I'll be tempted to ditch it in favour of Linux or something more stable!

TedBear
Visitor

Thanks for that! Big learning curve!