Join now - be part of our community!

What's the file format Sony uses for recording from Bravia onto USB drives?

profile.country.en_GB.title
dvdsmpsn
Visitor

What's the file format Sony uses for recording from Bravia onto USB drives?

After using my USB drive to record programmes from my TV, it's no longer readable on my Mac

In fact 5 "Linux" partitions were created on my 120GB Toshiba USB drive:

• The Mac seems to think that the filesystem is Linux based. Is this true?
  • What format are the video files?
  • Is it some Sony-only file format based on vendor lock-in? Or are Sony more open these days?

Message was edited by: dvdsmpsn

Message was edited by: dvdsmpsn

Tags (3)
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oodles2do

Ahhh, maybe that was what the other poster above could have been referring to?

However, i have the theory that a 1TB.external hdd is less than 50 quid these days.  Hence just buy one to dedicate to the tv.  For me, i could be faffed messing around unpluging and replugging it back in.  Im too lazy for that :grin:

oodles2do

@Anonymous

Yeah maybe they were. I've got a smaller Sony Bravia that I still use and record programmes on, so I have a dedicated 500gb hdd for that and have used it for a few years.

It's nice to be able to use a drive for other media as well as recordings with the LG though, so I can view photos or videos on the LG, quickly go to the TV hit record and select the same drive.

It makes much more sense to me to do it like that rather than insisting the entire capacity has to be dedicated to the TV. I mean, 500gb for my Sony is far far too much for recording TV, there's no way I ever get close to filling it up.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

be aware that even if Sony format the HDD for recording purposes it doesn't mean you can't copy other file afterward and read it via video player.

As already told by @oodles2do and @Anonymous any reknown brand recording is encrypted. My Samsung also do it.

ArferDaley

poppycock if that were the case the sattelite and freeview boxes are breaking regulations then as quite a few allow recording of hd and sd content without encryption

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

so you are the only smart here.... Any company is free to act as they like, untile maybe they got sued. Most freeview or pvr boxes cover their compliance by not selling you a harddisk to record so it's your choice to really activate the function.... Reknowned company do not use this escamotage

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_J

Any company is free to act as they like, untile maybe they got sued. Most freeview or pvr boxes cover their compliance by not selling you a harddisk to record so it's your choice to really activate the function.... Reknowned company do not use this escamotage ------------------ Agreed, Sky (UK) use HDCP as part of their compliance to attempt to protect HD recordings from being copied in order to meet licensing agreements. They do have a record feature via the scart connector which plays out in SD irrespective of the original definition. on disk HD is apparently encrypted as is non free to air SD.
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_J

@oodles2do wrote:

@Anonymous

It's nice to be able to use a drive for other media as well as recordings with the LG though, so I can view photos or videos on the LG, quickly go to the TV hit record and select the same drive.

It makes much more sense to me to do it like that rather than insisting the entire capacity has to be dedicated to the TV. I mean, 500gb for my Sony is far far too much for recording TV, there's no way I ever get close to filling it up.

Had a play to see if the USB drive could be used for other media while connected to the TV rather than exclusively for recording. Used a file manager (x-plore) to add a folder and then copied some music from another USB stick to the "recording" stick. That worked okay, the music app and Kodi played those files okay and later I recorded a programme okay. So can be shared with other media as long as only on the Sony TV it seems. Have not tried it yet but presumably other video media can also be stored as well in the same manner. although without the convenience of being able to load a USB on other platforms (maybe with linux derivatives though) and then plugging in.

I see that the recorder creates files in 1GB blocks plus a couple of other files presumably for indexing and other details so bypassing any file size limitations imposed by the disk format.

profile.country.GB.title
Auldgrumps
Explorer

I did that. Still cannot watch recordings on PC

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Maybe my English is not that good, but I think it should be quite clear: recording are encrypted! Nothing else apart the tv that created them can play back the recordings. THE VERY SAME TV, not even any other different TV same model.

ArferDaley

i have sold on my tv because of the stoopid encryption Sony impose not needed in this digital world about time they woke up and smelt the bacon which is a shame as the TV i is an excellent product plus navigating the forum is a nightmare bye bye from me enjoy your encrypted harddrives