Join now - be part of our community!

Viaplay for KDL-55w905A

earch78
New

Viaplay for KDL-55w905A

Hi.

Can you tell me if Sony is developing an app for Viaplay to be used in their TVs? If yes, when is it scheduled to be delivered? If no, why not when all other brands have it in their TVs?

Best regards, Erik

12 REPLIES 12
fsorberg
New

Hi!

I too am very interested in seeing this app being delivered for the 905A. 
Samsung got it, why not Sony? Its a very well used application in Scandinavia. 

br

/Fredrik

Lycken
Explorer

A real disappointment to find out that this TV lacks the Viaplay app. I'm considering switching to another TV because this app is by far the most important function to me. It would hurt, though, because it is an amazing TV from all other aspects. Response from Sony?

Best regards,

Stefan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Bit drastic isnt it?  Switching TV's because it doesnt have a certain application - is like switching cars because its only got a DAB radio and not a CD player too.

Having a quick hunt around, there are solutions I believe at an affordable price too. 

A quick google search indicates that Viaplay is available on Googles Play store and requires Android version 4.0 and up. Therefore you could find a HDMI Android Dongle (such as Chromecast) that just "may" do it.  Do a bit of research into it anyhow, but thats where I would start.

Therefore you can then keep the "amazing TV" in your words :slight_smile:

Hope that assists

Cheers

PS: Not done the full research, so cannot 100% say that Viaplay is supported on Chromecast

Lycken
Explorer

Ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating a little. :slight_smile:

It's not that I can't watch Viaplay at the TV. Today I simply connect the laptop with the TV via HDMI. I've always done this with Netflix as well. Anyway the 905A have the Netflix app and it was a remarcable difference in picture quality compared to connection with laptop. Especially the dark scenes improved with the TV app but the overall resolution as well.

50 % of all i watch is from Viaplay, hence the harsh words...

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

We can't comment on specific services I'm afraid. However in very general terms, adding any new service is trickier than just copy and pasting an existing app onto a TV as all manufacturers TV's are built on different technical platforms and no two broadcasters apps are identical, so there is usually a lot of engineering work that has to happen in the background. Add that to commerical discussions and any kind of exclusivity clauses that may exist between partners and other manufacturers and you can see how this can be a prolonged process.

Whilst I appreicate it doesn't specifically answer your question, hope it provides a little more insight into the process.

Thanks

earch78
New

I understund that there might some exclusively clauses between partners. But Viaplay is available on LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Philips, Xbox, Android, IOS and even on Sonys own playstation 3 & 4. I hardly believe they would stop SEN from publishing it.

Developing it is probably easy...and in my opinion 90% of the available apps today are useless, either commercial or commercial.

where can I find information about this. Just need to know weather it will come or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Have you tried contacting viaplay themselves to see if they have any plans for an application on the Sony TV platform?

Cheers

ceferin
New

I totally agree with you. Viaplay is available on many tv. We also have a Samsung and no problem there. Maybe I should just sell our Sony Bravia? It's annoying and bad publicity for Sony not to have all good apps on their list, as Viaplay. >Instead there is a lot of crap. Sorry, but that is the thruth.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Hi everyone.

I have just sideloaded Viaplay onto my KDX558509 and it appears to install ok.

It starts up no problem, the orientation is sideways on the TV screen, but the login page comes up ok.

Obviously I cannot test  further than this as I'm in the UK, and don't have a Viaplay account, but everything I have sideloaded so far, such as Viki, ITV Player, and ironically Dramafever which actually DOES have an app on the TV's Play Store, yet doesn't actually work via the TV app, play their Videos correctly full screen on the TV once you start playing them.

A wireless Keyboard and Mouse is a godsend if you have them to navigate these apps.  I Have a Logitech K400 Keyboard with built in touchpad and it works perfectly with the TV.

Good Luck !