Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to update the firmware on my XR-55X90J TV

profile.country.US.title
grizfan93
New

Unable to update the firmware on my XR-55X90J TV

Hi,

I'm having a rather frustrating experience. All I want to do is install and use the SkyShowtime app, but I'm not able to install it, I get a message stating that "your device isn't compatible with this version". 

I check the software version on my TV, and it is running PKG6.5929.0696EUA. It looks like there's a newer version available here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/software/00270055.

I tried to run the system software updater through the settings menu, but that shows that my "software is up to date" even though it isn't, and this updated version has been out for a few weeks. No problem, I'll just use the USB flash drive method.

Except, that doesn't work, either. I have a 32GB USB flash drive, and I formatted the drive on my MacBook as both FAT-32 and exFAT, then extract the download zip file, and copied the contents over to the drive. 

Next, I insert the flash drive in a USB port on the TV (tried both) and restarted the TV. the TV simply restarts back to normal Home Screen as if the USB drive wasn't there. It seems as if the TV either isn't seeing the flash drive, or is not finding the right boot files on the drive. 

Anyone have experience with this? I'm several hours into this project, and it shouldn't be this difficult to install a streaming service app. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.US.title
grizfan93
New

Okay, I solved the problem a different way. It turns out the error message stating that "your device isn't compatible with this version" was not a correct message. The app IS compatible with the TV, but I was logged into my Google Account using my USA account, and this app is not available in the USA. But, since I've moved to Portugal, I want to access this app. So, to solve this, I created a new Google Account using my Portuguese address, etc... then logged into that account on my TV. Problem solved.

But, this is why companies need to hire competent UX designers and copywriters instead of letting developers write error messages. 

profile.country.DK.title
anders234
Explorer

I have had the same issue, a full format of the flashdrive, and not an express Then it worked om my screen