Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
profile.country.GB.title
TFFZeldar
Explorer

Tried this in the past did not work for me.

just out of intrest

what satalite are you connected to and whats the os version your running.

Thanks

JC

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Currently running PKG3.885.0137EUR

And will be on one of the Astra satellites i would imagine

Nougat due soon and the the channel changes

And no doubt they will kill off something else, i see twitter gone now too as they cannot be arsed to pay the bill!

profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

So everyone with the 2015 4K TV model is hitting this issue and there is no workaround available?

Does anyone from Sony monitor this thread?

The sales guy told me this set comes with a 5 year warranty, surely this issue would fall under warranty?

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

@Micksul In answer to your questions

"So everyone with the 2015 4K TV model is hitting this issue and there is no workaround available?"

Yes - it is a design fault which was not present in the older pre 2015 non Addroid models.  The older Gracenote guide could be set to download the 7 day EPG from the internet.  In this version the EPG does download some data, if you press Guide and then side scroll to Genre Guide and TV Selections some data is populated.  Alas there is no proper EPG listing for satellite, only now and next and then only after you visit the channel (or sometimes suite of channels).

"Does anyone from Sony monitor this thread?"

Does not appear so....some Experts appear but I don't think they are Sony staff or they are hiding!

"The sales guy told me this set comes with a 5 year warranty, surely this issue would fall under warranty?"

Best of luck with that.  In the original brochure it stated that there was EPG for DTV and SAT but this is not the case in the latest web version as the references to EPG have been removed or altered.  Does not look to hopeful. 

Personally, I have learned to live with it.  When Sideview was available with a full Guide it helped but that too has been binned by Sony so it seems there is no interest in fixing the issue. Pity as the TV range is good but I will have to look elsewhere next time.  A new sale lost to Sony every other year in my case as I regard a new TV as my present to myself for hard work.  Pity Sony have lost the plot in this instance.

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Yep, thats about the size of things.  Up until February there was Sideview which was great, you could look through an EPG and set a record time up, they then decided that no-one was using that, so they canned it. they thought it wasn't being used, but you didn't have to login to use it, so how the hell did they know??

Chances of claiming under a warranty - NIL

Do they look at these forums? I very much doubt that they do!

They really have stuffed up here!

profile.country.GB.title
migube
Explorer

Would there be any other Android App with EPG, that could start recordings ? 😞

Hate this, EPG is quite a basic feature, don't understand how Sony could miss this 😞

m

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

There are other Apps about, but not yet found one that will do recordings etc.  I doubt that Sony released the API codes needed to do that.

profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

Would anyone happen to have a sorted backup of their EPG that they could post?

I did a scan and the channels are all over the place.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

@Micksul"I did a scan and the channels are all over the place."

I think this depends on which country you say you are in in the Setup.  In mine I can't remember if I said UK or Ireland but the SAT channels generally follow the Freesat arrangement up to the News channels then they are a bit all over the place with lots of repeated regional variations. 

I used the Favorites to sort into some sort of order, putting the channels I use most in one section, news in another and so on, it makes finding stuff somewhat easer.   In the guide you sometimes get suggestions of stuiff to watch but unfortunately this can also include Sky encrypted movies for example.  You can mix DTV and SAT in Favorites so that is a plus but the EPG is a mess.  Why sell Gracenote with no deal to support EPG ....seems like an idiot did the contract or the new Gracenote owners are missing a trick to provide an app, seems like an opportunity.

Oh, backup the Favorites to a USB becasue the TV can loose data in upgrades.

And another thing - Not sure if anyone else is have this problem,  but I am having random services crashes lately....like Netflix stopped, Andriod service stopped and random reboots.   It has always resolved itself up to now....but does not fill with confidence!

Finally, my trusty Gracenote 2015 Sony TV enabled Sony PSU gave up last week so I'm without that TV now, hoping for a fix under the 5 year guarantee.   Definitely Sony still have a great screen and sound but the other problems means I'll look elsewhere in future.

profile.country.IE.title
Boardman19
Explorer

I am going to buy either the Sony 65"XE90 (with free sound at offer) or move to LG 65"C7 Oled on Black Friday. Wanting to cut out the skybox on this TV, this EPG issue seems to be a deal killer.