Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Just wanted to check. You do know you get a full epg on freeview (which you can record from and cut out the sky box)  If you want Freesat and not freeview recording then that doesn't help of course. 

RobH291
Explorer

I would never purchase a Sony again recommend you look at Samsung instead.

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Gary, can you explain what you wrote please, Thanks.

profile.country.IE.title
Boardman19
Explorer

I am in Dublin so Freeview will be of no use for having an EPG on all UK channels etc. I need the dual satellite feed with EPG. Very surprised that having Android as a op system that at a minimum an app could not have been developed to overcome this problem. For me, this is probably a deal breaker as free sat with Android was a compelling proposition for content provision. 

profile.country.BE.title
chfauc
Explorer

Sony had an app to see EPG & program TV, but discountinued it 😞

Now I can see an app for Android for Freesat EPG 

https://www.freesat.co.uk/news/New-Freesat-App-for-Android/

It's supposed to program the Humax Settop box, but I guess not the Android TV's 😞 

If someone would know how to remotely program the Cron to record some Satellite stream, I guess programming this on an app should be doable ? 

tx

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

If anybody has some coding knowledge for Apple or Android it should be reasonably straightforward to create an app. From what i understand, the command needed is a simple xml file that gets transmitted to the set, i did find a link that gives some of the commands and the rest will be outh there.

Anyone??

profile.country.GB.title
migube
Explorer

hi geoffs4

which info did you find to program the TV via XML?

tx

migu

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Make a google search for "sony android tv xml codes"  you will find plenty

profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

anyone got a link, google search does nto show me anything useful.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I couldn't find anything useful, since gracenote died I don't think there is a way is there?